Is there such a thing as an extra-extra thin wall socket?

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I wasn't sure where else to post this...it IS a woodworking tool.

I want to get this nut off. It is a 15/16" nut but the surrounding hole is only 1 7/32” in diameter. I bought an extra-thin-wall socket, but it is nearly 1 17/64” in diameter – making it nearly a full 1/16” too big. The wall of the socket is only 3/32” thick at the corners. I don't have the tools to turn down a hardened steel socket.

Any ideas?

SS2-left-handle-knob-nut.jpg

Last edited:

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Try your nearest auto parts store. They have speciality tools for stuff like this, and maybe even a free loaner.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have an extra 12 pt socket that measures 1.241 OD that is about .023 over. I would be willing to grind it down to 1.2180 if you need

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Just a question, given this is the shaft for the quill, can you get at it from the opposite end of the shaft instead? If you can work it from the opposite side then you may only need to immobilize the nut enough to ensure it backs off, which is often much easier.

Anyhow, I ask as I’m not familiar with your specific drillpress, but on some you can work that shaft from either side depending upon which is simpler (and the setup itself is sometimes swappable for left- or right-hand use).

kelLOGg

Bob
Senior User
I had a much smaller nut on a chainsaw that was in the same situation. I ground the socket thinner - a messy ugly solution but it was used often and it worked.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
A few minutes with a grinder or, lacking that tool, an angle grinder with a metal cut off wheel, will make the necessary adjustment in diameter. It will not win any beauty contests but will get the job done, assuming the nut is not terribly tight. If you don't have an angle grinder, HF has them for $10 quite often, I think there is a coupon now.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
It may be metric, but I doubt you have a 23mm socket. Might be just enough smaller to fit. If its a 24mm it would be even larger.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Chris,
chuck the socket with as much exposed as you need to get down to the nut and sand /grind it while its spinning in the lathe.Metal sand paper disc or a side grinder wheel will do the job but be patient to not heat it up. check your fit or use calipers as you progress.

wwidmer

New User
Bill
You could also get a 29/32" plumbing/shower socket and cut the edges a bit to turn it into a 6 sided spanner wrench that can expand slightly to grab the 15/16" nut.
Wrench1.jpg

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS