Is a 3D printer useful in the shop? Yes!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I went ahead and got a 3D printer, once you've got a bug up your behind about a new tool you know you're going to lose that battle. I bought a Prusa MK3S, very happy with the purchase. There are more affordable machines out there but I wanted something that would just work.

First order of business was to replace this:

with this:

Designed it using Fusion 360, including the knurled knob. Amazingly powerful software, I think I understand about .04% of it by now. The cursor window was not printed, the best you can do is "translucent", not "clear". Obviously I need a laser cutter for that part, although my bandsaw did just fine. But I want a laser cutter :D

Looks pretty clean.

marinosr

Richard
Corporate Member
Nice! This thread is very timely. My local library has free 3D printing, up to 14"x14", and I really want to avail myself of it. I was just about to start a thread asking if people had ideas for good applications in the shop. I'm particularly thinking of jigs that would be difficult or impossible to make of wood... things that can expand the horizon of woodworking possibilities. So keep the ideas coming folks!

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Very, very nice! If your understanding is only .04%, I can only imagine what you will be making when you hit 25%! Did you miss making sawdust?

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'm particularly thinking of jigs that would be difficult or impossible to make of wood... things that can expand the horizon of woodworking possibilities. So keep the ideas coming folks!
Although a 3D printer is not machinist accurate, you can get very close. Meaning if you want to route a circle with a 4 5/16" radius, you can 3D print a template and then route it out. That's a lot easier than using some sort of trammel jig or circle cutter. I'm also looking at making matching jigs for a butterfly inlay. Yes, you can buy templates, but a custom inlay with specific dimensions is what this hobby is all about.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very, very nice! If your understanding is only .04%, I can only imagine what you will be making when you hit 25%! Did you miss making sawdust?
One nice thing about 3D design work is that I can do it while on the road. Can't bring my shop onto the plane, but the laptop is coming anyway :) Then the weekend is for sawdust making. Literally. As in sanding cabinet doors. Endless sanding. :rolleyes: :D

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Ummm.…. Oh Bas.... You need to change your tag line cause you ain't recovering no mo.;)

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I use my 3D printer to make a lot of things useful in WW. Like fixtures to hang tools on pegboard. Small parts boxes - a carousel with bins. Some dovetail angles at different angles and one straight to transfer lines around corners.

Check out Thingaverse.com for lots of examples and designs you can download.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
How hard is it to duplicate a part? That is, how hard would it be to 3D print a bunch of these meter mounts? The metal side brackets are usually salvaged, but the plastic rectangular frames crack to pieces.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike, that frame would be easy to print if you had a printer big enough to do the job. Mine will only print about 6" x 6" x 6". Other (more expensive) models will go up to about 12x12x12. Getting much larger than that gets really expensive.

Not sure what your dimensions are but it looks bigger than my 6x6.

There are services that will print items for you if you send them the design file. Haven't investigated how reasonable their prices are though. Check out Thingaverse.com for information on the various services.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Most any of the printers available nowadays will print that 2 x 3 inch frame. With a higher quality one you could use a stronger plastic like vinyl, but ABS or PLA would probably be strong enough. My design skills are somewhat lacking or I'd volunteer to try and make something that would work.

All of the printers I'm aware of work in mm so you'd need to provide somebody with detailed drawings in mm including where screw holes, etc need to be.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I went ahead and got a 3D printer, once you've got a bug up your behind about a new tool you know you're going to lose that battle. I bought a Prusa MK3S, very happy with the purchase. There are more affordable machines out there but I wanted something that would just work.

First order of business was to replace this:

with this:

Designed it using Fusion 360, including the knurled knob. Amazingly powerful software, I think I understand about .04% of it by now. The cursor window was not printed, the best you can do is "translucent", not "clear". Obviously I need a laser cutter for that part, although my bandsaw did just fine. But I want a laser cutter :D

Looks pretty clean.
Bas, Where did you get Fusion 360? Was it expensive? I'd like to try it but haven't looked into it due to the price. BTW, my Prusa is currently on the fritz. I purchased an upgrade and the filament sensor didn't work. They replaced it but still no good. So they sent me a new Motherboard, now my Hot End heater won't work. UGH...can't win!

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
For anyone else interested in the CLT area, LOML, who works at one of the branches, informs me they have a 3D printer available at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Main Library downtown.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
For anyone else interested in the CLT area, LOML, who works at one of the branches, informs me they have a 3D printer available at the Charlotte Mecklenburg Main Library downtown.

I wonder how this works, the jobs I've seen printed takes hours!

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Bas, Where did you get Fusion 360? Was it expensive? I'd like to try it but haven't looked into it due to the price. BTW, my Prusa is currently on the fritz. I purchased an upgrade and the filament sensor didn't work. They replaced it but still no good. So they sent me a new Motherboard, now my Hot End heater won't work. UGH...can't win!
UPDATE! Turns out only the self test wouldn't pass the Hot End Heater Fan! My printer is working fine! So it's back to printing jigs and knobs and stuff for the shop again! Yay!

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
How hard is it to duplicate a part? That is, how hard would it be to 3D print a bunch of these meter mounts? The metal side brackets are usually salvaged, but the plastic rectangular frames crack to pieces.
For someone proficient in 3D modeling software, maybe an hour to design/ slice. Printing would probably be a couple of hours. I agree with Ken, I'd print it in ABS or at least PETG for strenght. PLA is likely to break too quickly.
(and no, not proficient....check back in a couple of years :) )

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
If you're a hobbyist or startup (less $100K/ revenue)t, it's free. At least for a year. Simply download and register as a hobbyist. I know, how awesome is that?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS