4copfzbl.jpg

r9Past9l.jpg

y9j9oCfl.jpg

sRywbCZl.jpg

IMG_20140312_181741.jpg

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Nice noggin knocker - Mike Dave made me two many years ago - a big one and a medium sized one, both out of sycamore core and merican beech outer - both are my go to shop knockers for sure... I know you will enjoy yours to.

Rick M

New User
Rick
I like it. Wish I had one. One of the pictures shows the Ipe weighed 44 ozs. Is that correct?

Steve H.

Yep. The glued blank weighed in at 44 oz. but after cutting off the corners, roughing out, plus losing an inch or so off each end it really whittles the weight down. I was expecting closer to 22 oz. finish weight but may have gotten a little carried away roughing it out. I might do another and keep it as heavy as possible. Debating if the next will be this style or something different like a Chris Pyle.

The hardest part was flattening the ipe with no jointer. Hand planes dull after a few passes and I didn't want to risk my planer blades. Tried flattening with sandpaper on a flat surface (like lapping a plane) but ipe is merely amused by sandpaper so I was left with taking skimming passes on the table saw. I got it reasonably flat, nothing a little extra clamping pressure couldn't cure.

nn4jw

New User
Jim
Very nice. How did your turning tools hold up to the ipe? Did you have to stop and resharpen often?

Rick M

New User
Rick
Very nice. How did your turning tools hold up to the ipe? Did you have to stop and resharpen often?

I used carbide on the ipe so no resharpening necessary. But the carbides tend to cause more tear out so there was more sanding, which took longer than usual since the wood is so darn hard. And I had to go all the way down to 60 grit and turn the speed up just to make any progress. I only have carbides and carbon steel tools and carbon steel won't cut it (literally and metaphorically), not for more than a few seconds anyway. I need to break down and buy some HSS tools.

Another first -- the first time turning anything while using a dust collector, nice. Even with the hose just dangling near the tool rest it sucked up about 90% of the chips and nearly all the sanding dust.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Nice! I'm planning to make some new mallets (square, not turned) from some white oak scraps I have laying around. I have some ipe and considered using it. But I don't have much, so I'll probably use the oak that is otherwise destined for the firewood bin.

Ipe trivia: the average specific gravity of ipe at 12% MC is ~1.10 (source), which means that it would not float. I've been meaning to throw one of my scraps in a bucket to test that.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Nice looking mallet, Rick. You mentioned the dust collection on the lathe. Did you happen to take a pic or your setup? That's something I haven't had much success with.

Rick M

New User
Rick
Nice looking mallet, Rick. You mentioned the dust collection on the lathe. Did you happen to take a pic or your setup? That's something I haven't had much success with.

I put a string around the hose and tied it to the ceiling so the hose would dangle below the tool rest. It doesn't get everything but the floor was a lot cleaner than usual. I'll rig up something permanent someday.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thanks, that is REALLY nice Rick!

Are you making one for you too?

:rotflm:

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I read that once and found it very surprising.

I threw some in the fireplace (which was already burning hot with coals), and while it started a bit slower than other woods, it did burn just fine. So I guess I'd have to research the NFPA rating system to understand what that really means.

Elmojo

New User
Mike
Beautiful work!
3 things:
1) Please tell me you used some serious respiratory protection. Ipe dust is NASTY on your lungs, much worse than most other woods, especially when you get to the finer stages.
2) Where do you get Ipe? I've been looking for a decent source for years. Please share! :)
3) Did I mention, awesome work?! I like the feature line where the handle and slabs come together, very nice!

Rick M

New User
Rick
I set the dust collector hose next to the tool rest to capture the dust and chips.

The ipe came from a fellow NCWW member and are recycled from planter.

Thanks for the kind words. I confess the design is not original, it is in fact the only thing I've ever built from a magazine, an old issue of Wood. The design is so perfect that I had to build it as is.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
2) Where do you get Ipe? I've been looking for a decent source for years. Please share! :)

My brother resurfaced his deck a few years ago using Ipe - got it delivered from one of the NC lumber stores that was a bit distant from Raleigh. Sorry, I don't remember which one. It was prepared for decking (surfaced 4 sides with rounded edges). I've got some of his leftovers to play with :)

Steve_Honeycutt

Chat Administartor
Steve
Beautiful work!
3 things:
1) Please tell me you used some serious respiratory protection. Ipe dust is NASTY on your lungs, much worse than most other woods, especially when you get to the finer stages.
3) Did I mention, awesome work?! I like the feature line where the handle and slabs come together, very nice!

Mike,

Scroungers Paradise (www.scroungersparadise.com) near Asheville advertises Ipe. I know that is some distance from Snow Hill, but there are NCWW members in that area that might help you out.

Steve H.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks great, I don't see any strike marks on it yet. Don't tell us it is just for looks...

I think I have a 2x4 of Ipe, maybe I will make a few mallets from it.

What's the going price for mallets these days? :dontknow:

Rick M

New User
Rick
My cousin wants to buy this one but she hasn't picked it up yet. The longer I look at it the more likely I'll keep it so she better hurry. We agreed $65 but pricing is anybody's game. I made another ipe mallet, a plain jane that I can beat up without feeling bad.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors