Intro of me (oka) albeit late

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Hi All, Been here for a few months and noticed in my profile I never formally introduced myself.

My name is Casey. I use the handle "oka" mostly because when I first started typing on the internet I was so slow I wanted something easy to type. It means "Hill" in Japanese. Funny how many Japanese people think I am Japanese.
Anyway, I was originally from California grew up playing music but had some natural skill with building wood working. I got into playing music professionally for about 25 years, the 1st 11years was playing in symphonies in different locations. I am thankful for the music as it got me to many countries I otherwise would have never seen. In my teen years I built furniture and worked in art framing shop. It was during this time I built a number of musical instruments. Once I got old and tired of that work, I became a Contractor, then Construction Manager.

I am currently an Sr Construction Manager, that is what got me to North Carolina, really loved it. But, like all in construction, opportunities arise plus my wife wanted to live in Hawaii
so .... happy wife , happy life. We have a 13 year daughter.

When I found NC woodworkers I was dying to find a forum of real down to earth people, not pretentious, or pseudo experts, just real people. That is why I joined because this IS that place.
I am 18 months from Social Security........... but will work as long as I have the spirit to do so.
I can be defined as not what tools I have but rather, what tools I haven't gotten around to buying yet ....:p

That's me in a nutshell, just a happy guy that wishes people would see the beauty in the wood creations we all make way more than the Costco/Walmart furniture standard. Cie' la Vie

~~~ Casey (oka)

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
I just thought you misspelled "Oak." :D

Interesting resume. One thing I'd like to do some day is make a violin, but that's well beyond my abilities now.

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad you found us Casey, and welcome, albeit late ;)

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome aboard, Casey. As you have pointed out already - you have come to right web site.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks for the intro! So what do you prefer, Casey or Oka?

Oh, and BTW, are you aware of the Sunday morning Chat? It's that little box down in the lower right corner of the forum window. We gather around 9am and just shoot the breeze about whatever is on your mind! Please feel free to come join us if you'd like!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Thanks for the intro, Casey. I confess to being curious about 'Oka' but your reason certainly makes sense, and very practical. I agree w/ you about the down-to-earth character of NCWW. That's why I've stayed w/ this site long term but abandoned some of the others I tried. Our monitors do a great job of keeping it civil and focused on woodworking.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the Saw dust pile Casey. Glad you found us, great story behind you. I'm sure plenty more to be told.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Casey is fine. I am a Forum Moderator for XDA Developers there I only use Oka1 as it is a a big Android website full of punk kids ---;) -- but does keep me up on the latest and greatest in development,

Uhhhh Duh.......... NOW I NOTICED the Chat ............ says Cap't Obvious .......:rolleyes:

Thanks for the intro! So what do you prefer, Casey or Oka?

Oh, and BTW, are you aware of the Sunday morning Chat? It's that little box down in the lower right corner of the forum window. We gather around 9am and just shoot the breeze about whatever is on your mind! Please feel free to come join us if you'd like!

bowman

Board of Directors, Webmaster
Neal
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used to hang out at XDA also, been several years now.

I guess with time difference, you'd have to be up around 4am to join on our chats?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
5 hours difference right now, So yeah, but I tend to get up 4:30-5 am SO next time I ll see if I am up and join in.

Yeah XDA not as fun as it used to be. I am hanging in til next year to make my 10 years as a moderator and then, I'll probably retire. It has gotten less development and more incremental. Android is really mainstream now, 86% of the world phones are using this format. So, it is really useful to understand it. But that said, the platform does not change much anymore, just small changes now.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
I have seen your posts and I too thought you were Japanese, glad to have that sorted out. Kind of late, but here is my offici9al welcome to you,WELCOME ABOARD!

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Casey,
Thanks for this - I am REALLY glad Steve encouraged this from the outset especially when we are not able to meet IRL.
You get an insight into someone's background and interests.
I would say a majority of us got here and stay here because of the unpretentious and friendly banter - but for me the greatest thing is the helpfulness - when you ask someone answers the question - and usually someone who has done it wrong and you can avoid learning from your mistakes! I would love to figure out how many questions have been asked and answered here - it has to be thousands.

I enjoy your posts and answers - it was obvious prior to your introduction you have had some GREAT life (and woodworking) experiences. Thanks for being a part of the group!

Reactions: Oka

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS