Interest in a Pyrography, aka Wood Burning, workshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Rick,

We simply ask that you make a donation to NCWW of $30 for the class. This can be done in person or just simply click on the donate button above and choose to donate $30 via credit card.

Additionally if you're purchasing one of the kits for $90 you can either bring that in cash or check to the class or again just use the donate button for that amount. It all goes to the same place.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
In preparation to the class in two weeks, I've got some things that I'd like you all to plan to bring.
1. A folding chair that you can sit in comfortably and work at a table, or desk (a lawn chair will not work as you'll be working on the table just like you were writing a letter).
2. A piece of Graphite Paper. You don't need to buy a $25 roll at Michaels! I have a sheet that's about 8" x 8" and I've been using it for several years! We do NOT use CARBON paper! Graphite paper marks can be erased from the wood, Carbon paper marks cannon!!!
3. A Red and Blue or Black ball point pen. Any two distinctly different colors will work fine. NOTE: Felt tip markers will NOT work!
4. A White eraser. I have a small block art eraser. The White erasers remove the pencil marks while a Red eraser smudges.
5. Your Burner and tips if you already have one! If you have requested one of the kits at the special price, please plan to bring you $90 with you.
6. A piece of Basswood if you have some. If not, I have some blocks that I will cut up on the bandsaw as backup pieces.
7. Cash for lunch. We'll most likely place an pickup order with Jersey Mike's.

This is all I can think of at this time. Oh, I don't keep any sodas at my house. If we all agree, we can pickup some cans, bottles or 2 liter jugs if necessary. I will have bottles of water available.

If I have any other items or notes to add, I'll add them here!
Michael

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
One more thing to add to the list to bring... First, some background. I was doing some research and watching some videos and noticed the medium this guy was burning on was flexing. After more investigation I discovered that you can burn on a heavier weight paper. So, I picked up a couple Watercolor Notebooks with 140 lb paper! I played around a bit with this and it works quite well. After all, paper is technically wood! The one catch is the heat can easily penetrate through this paper. So....

...please plan to bring a smaller cooking sheet. I have a teflon coated one I use that has no sides. It could also be one of the flexible silicone ones as well. Just something to prevent burning the surface under the paper.

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
Mike, I just donated my $30. I have my $90 for my new tool. Looking forward to this.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Thanks Berta! One more thing I thought that you might want to bring,, but of course it's optional. I keep all my Pyrography supplies and burning kit in a plastic storage shoe box. It's keeps everything together and dust free!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
What time do you plan to start Michael, and we need your address to get there. PM the address if you prefer. Thank you!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
In preparation to the class in two weeks, I've got some things that I'd like you all to plan to bring.
1. A folding chair that you can sit in comfortably and work at a table, or desk (a lawn chair will not work as you'll be working on the table just like you were writing a letter).
2. A piece of Graphite Paper. You don't need to buy a $25 roll at Michaels! I have a sheet that's about 8" x 8" and I've been using it for several years! We do NOT use CARBON paper! Graphite paper marks can be erased from the wood, Carbon paper marks cannon!!!
3. A Red and Blue or Black ball point pen. Any two distinctly different colors will work fine. NOTE: Felt tip markers will NOT work!
4. A White eraser. I have a small block art eraser. The White erasers remove the pencil marks while a Red eraser smudges.
5. Your Burner and tips if you already have one! If you have requested one of the kits at the special price, please plan to bring you $90 with you.
6. A piece of Basswood if you have some. If not, I have some blocks that I will cut up on the bandsaw as backup pieces.
7. Cash for lunch. We'll most likely place an pickup order with Jersey Mike's.

This is all I can think of at this time. Oh, I don't keep any sodas at my house. If we all agree, we can pickup some cans, bottles or 2 liter jugs if necessary. I will have bottles of water available.

If I have any other items or notes to add, I'll add them here!
Michael

Being I live out in God's country the nearest Walmart is 30 miles and the nearest Michaels/Hobby Lobby is 60 miles. If someone could bring an extra piece of Graphite Paper I will buy it from them.:eusa_pray

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I will pm my address and start times tonight.

Scott, I do have done graphite paper. I just don't have enough for everyone

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Got you covered brother. Graphite paper, 140 lb watercolor paper, white eraser, and red and blue pens. on the baking sheet, but Sharon can cover you there!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Being I live out in God's country the nearest Walmart is 30 miles and the nearest Michaels/Hobby Lobby is 60 miles. If someone could bring an extra piece of Graphite Paper I will buy it from them.:eusa_pray

I should have some extra Scott - part of my carving kit which I'll be bringing.

BTW, Mike, I can run get lunch while you all work if that helps.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
A couple more things that I just remembered after looking over my workstation. I don't recall if I've mentioned these or not.
1. A small ceramic plate to put hot Nibs (Tips) on when changing them. I went super cheap and folder up a piece of Tin Foil into a small tray. It also serves the purpose of corralling the Nibs so they aren't rolling around on the work surface and falling onto the floor!
2. If anyone has an old pair of Blue Jeans that is now scrap material. Bring some of that so we can cut up some squares for cleaning soot, oils, ash, etc off the Nibs while burning.
3. A single edge Razor Blade or 6! I use this to "erase" lighter mistakes! I use it like a scraper to wear away the burnt layers of wood if I get too dark. This ONLY works with lighter burnt areas.

...still thinking!

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
Michael, I paid $60 for Beth and me, and an additional $90 for the Cub Kit, for a total of $150 + an extra $10 to NCWW this morning, my monthly payday! See you tomorrow morning.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have also made my donation. For those who offered to bring extra graphite paper THANK YOU. I had forgotten that my wife had a DR apt in Durham yesterday so I was able to get my own.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Mike thanks for the hosting, refreshments and the great instructions. It was great to see everyone again and I learned a lot.

I totally forgot to take pictures and dimensions of the rotating easel. Last night while attempting to find plans on the internet I found a place selling them of $25 + S&H. See link below. Picture wise I looks identical to others on sale through wood working and pyrography suppliers for a lot more $$$. I went ahead and ordered one. I will post my impressions of it when I receive it.

http://www.artistsclub.com/cfSurfaces/surfaces_display.cfm?id=62742

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS