Interest in a marketing class?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
[FONT=&quot]I know most of you won’t answer these questions for one reason or another, but it really would help me and help with a big project we are planning.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Are you a full time woodworker? That could be anything from milling lumber to setting cabinets, from selling tools to making furniture or anything related.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Are you self employed?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time?

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work?[/FONT]

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
Mike,
I think this is a great idea and I'd love to get in on this. My problem is I just don't get enough time in the shop to create/produce things to really be able to sell them. I'm typically making things that will become gifts or that someone special asked me to make. If I didn't have to work that bill-paying-job, I'd be able to participate. BTW, most of my answers were "no"!

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
If I can support this endeavor in anyway please let me know. Whether offering my technical expertise or experience in marketing (mobile, e-commerce, direct mail, PPC, email campaigns) or just overall strategy consulting let me know.

I clearly dont have the skills or the time to make enough products to sell (though I do dream of it) at this point in my real work life but I would be willing to support those who do and hopefully get to the point where I can contribute products as well.

tri4sale

Daniel
Corporate Member
[FONT=&amp]Are you a full time woodworker? - No[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Are you self employed? - Yes[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? I have had mine in stores in past, and I sell at some shows during Christmas. [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? - Not really[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? - Mostly Triangle area[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? - Yes [/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? - Yes
Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work?[/FONT]
- Yes

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Mike, if you can get people to know their market, you will help them out a lot. My limited experience in selling is usually through galleries on consignment. The majority of the furniture I made is for my personal use. You really can't buy the level of quality you can personally put into a piece of furniture. Other stuff I donate to fund-raisers or give as gifts. I remember a woodworker once told me that woodworking is a good hobby, not a good way to make a living.

Roy G

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
1. I can be considered full time, if I feel like working that many hours, but then I do it for profit and fun, not to make a living though.
2. Definitely self employed.
3. Have sold in galleries, but lost money in the end, sold on line but it was seasonal, and sold at craft fairs, which were generally the best venues.
4.Marketing strategy is to present items according to the season, mainly. Only goal is to make a reasonable profit. Plan is to continue at any venue, with any items that do well, and learn what not to do according to my past experiences.
5. All venues I sell in are within a short driving distance, 1-1 1/2 hours. Otherwise I have marketed online using the craft sales site Etsy.
6. I might be interested in a joint marketing effort, even at a small cost, but again, I am limited by travelling time and distance. On sight participation isn't a problem otherwise.
7. I would enjoy a class in marketing, but again, there's that old travelling time thing again. Maybe with a new body part or two, things would be different for the better.
Thank you for your fine leadership and efforts on our behalf Mike! You have done a really great job as president! Keep up the good work Sir!

6. I could certainly produce more if sales merited it, can't say I'm tickled with current sales to production balance.

Ed Fasano

Ed
Senior User
Are you a full time woodworker? NO.

A
re you self employed? YES
D
o you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? NO
Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? N/A
Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? NA
Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? N/A
Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? YES
Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work?
N/A (However, I have a marketing background and would be willing contribute my thoughts on the planned efforts.)

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member

Are you a full time woodworker? That could be anything from milling lumber to setting cabinets, from selling tools to making furniture or anything related. Yes

Are you self employed? Yes

Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? No

Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? Word of mouth, face to face networking. Other than that not really

Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? State

Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? Yes

Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? Yes

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? Yes

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Are you a full time woodworker? That could be anything from milling lumber to setting cabinets, from selling tools to making furniture or anything related. YES -PART TIME

Are you self employed? KINDA – retired but do WW for fun and extra $

Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? CRAFT FAIRS

Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? Goal to have a website

Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? YES. Within a hour or so from home.

Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? Have a reason balance now.

Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? YES

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? YES

pcooper

Phillip Cooper
Corporate Member
1. Are you self employed?

Work full time and do woodworking as a side business

2. Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online?

I sell at one craft show pre-Thanksgiving that is designed to be a Christmas event, and also on Etsy.com.

3. Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies?

Goals-yes, Plan-no, strategies-?????

4. Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country?

No, sell/ship anywhere

5. Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales?

Yes,

6. Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time?

Likely, would love to try

7. Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work?

Maybe, depends on time/cost/location

charlie jones

New User
Charlie
Are you a full time woodworker? That could be anything from milling lumber to setting cabinets, from selling tools to making furniture or anything related. YES -Maybe soon.Part time now.

Are you self employed? Not now but soon

Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? Online in the past

Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? No

Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? No

Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? Yes

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? Sure, if I didn't have to drive halfway across the state.

crc

New User
Robin
Are you a full time woodworker? No
Are you self employed? Not yet
Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? Not yet (planning for an upcoming fair this fall; currently working on website)
Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? Not yet (currently working on plan)
Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? No
Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Not yet, but soon
Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? Yes
Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? Yes, depending on timing/location of class

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
1. Are you self employed? No

2. Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? Neither

3. Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? No

4. Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? Mo

5. Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? Not applicable

6. Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? Not sure I need that

7. Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? No, not that far along.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Are you a full time woodworker? That could be anything from milling lumber to setting cabinets, from selling tools to making furniture or anything related. YES -Maybe soon.Part time now.

Are you self employed? Not now but soon

Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? Online in the past

Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? No

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? Sure, if I didn't have to drive halfway across the state.

From Cashiers? Not halfway, all the way.

ncfromnc

New User
neil
Are you a full time woodworker? Yes, furniture and household items and wood art items

Are you self employed? Yes

Do you sell your work in stores, galleries, craft fairs, or online? I have a couple galleries (Miya Gallery in Weaverville, NC and Grovewood Gallery in Asheville). I do a handful of craft fairs. I am a provisional member (soon to be member in November) of Piedmont Craftsman Inc. have an occasional sale on CustomMade.com (although this venue is going to #### pretty fast). Word of Mouth

Do you have a marketing plan, goals, strategies? High end Gallery presence, High end Craft Guild presence (PCI, CDC and Southern Highlands Craft guild. Build speculative items when I don't have commission work.

Do you limit your sales to a certain geographic area? City, County, State, region, Country? NEVER.....as long as shipping and handling is paid for by the client.

Could you produce more if the sales would support it? Or do you have a good balance of production/sales? I often work a 7 day work week. I produce as much as I can now. I am about to get another woodworker in my shop and will trade his labor for his rent. This should allow me to produce more work.

Would you be interested in helping a joint marketing effort if it didn’t cost you anything but a little time? It would depend. As a full time artist/woodworker, I have very little time.

Would you take a class in marketing or selling your work? Too busy selling my work. Would do some writing or other help if there is no time limit or needing to be anywhere but my shop.

Last edited:

ncfromnc

New User
neil
I do have the following observations about selling your work or becoming a full time woodworker:

You can be successful with two different strategies. First you become a master marketer and you can sell ANYTHING wether it is good or not.
The other way is to get really good at your craft....and I don't mean just "craftsmanship". I would venture to say that the number one obstacle I see in most woodwork is a very UNBALANCED attitude about craftsmanship and design. Something may have wonderful, precise craftsmanship but little or no design. By design I don't mean aesthetics. But design as in proportion, composition, color, texture with a precise balance as to offer a clear and understandable notion of your aesthetics. If you were a writer....you would know how to spell, where to put punctuation, proper construction of sentences etc.
Here are two notions that drive my design and art:
NO AMBIGUITY
RICHNESS

This is hard stuff, learn it and your work will be so much better and sellable.

Think of it like this....the biggest and best craft guilds jury in members on a 50/50 basis. 50% craftsmanship, 50% design.
Remember, Design is not Aesthetics. Knowing the difference will dramatically change the way you approach your work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors