Interest in a handsaw skills workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Whatever you tell me to buy. I have no clue, I really want to learn.
Well let me start by saying don't buy anything until you take the class. Now allow me to explain, we need to learn what kind of sawing your wanting to do and also what will fit you. I also need to explain that my basic saw kit includes five saws, two for breaking down stock one for ripping and one for crosscutting, two backsaws for jointery one for ripping and one for crosscutting and one dovetail saw for mainly dovetails but sometimes other cuts. I also have several other specialty saws such as the large frame saw, a bow saw copping saws, and a fret saw, along with some small panel saws and large backsaws, as you can tell I have gone down one heck of a rabbit hole and I'm here to tell you I can quit at anytime...... stop looking at me that way..... I can. Maybe!
So either way come out and learn about saws and sawing and maybe we can help you start down the rabbit hole as well.

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
If most of you are game April 8th is the date at Bills shop, starting at 10am, for a donation of 30.00 to NCWW, and 5bucks for pizza.
for those who we already know can't make it I will offer this class up again later this summer or fall which ever works better.
please confirm.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Here is the list I have of those who said April 8 will work:

USER NAME
NICKNAME

cstandi1​
Chase​
Jeremy Scuteri
Jeremy
Mrfixit71​
Rich​
David Justice​
David​
zapdafish​
Steve​
Berta​
Berta

For this workshop we need to limit the number of participants to six. I assume each participant will be sawing boards in a vice at some time, and six is the number of vises I have that will work for sawing. Amazing how that works. :icon_scra

I will send out directions/instructions sometime next week, although I believe all of you have been to workshops here before. Richard will follow up w/ any equipment/tools you should bring.

See you next Saturday (8th).

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Thank you Bill for the help. If you have backsaws or panel saws please bring them, it will help. If you don't have any that is fine, this will give you a chance to try on some and see what will work for you. I'll bring the bulk of my nest for folks to try as well. Now I know that most of you have powersaws for breaking down your stock so we will touch on those techniques and everyone will have a chance to work on that, but I have a feeling that most are interested in backsaw techniques at the bench. So how to hold the saw and how to preform the tasks. So with that said, bring with you if you can, a bench hook or hooks, a square, a marking knife, a marking gauge/mortising gauge, a chisel and mallet, a ruler and pencil. I look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday. Oh and Bill I'm bringing you a sheet of the cork/rubber material for you vises. You will like it.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
just submitted my donation for this class,

I dont think there is a field for what the donation is for in the form

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
just submitted my donation for this class,

I dont think there is a field for what the donation is for in the form
And you would be right, however it's great that you donated, and thank you for that, I look forward to seeing you on Saturday.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
Big thanks to Richard for holding the class and Bill for hosting. I learned some tips on using a handsaw and got some practice in which I really need more of.

Richard was also nice enough to bring his wooden thread cutter. He cleaned it up, sharpened it and set it up. I was able to re-cut the threads on my Moxon Vise and the screws turn SOOO much easier now.

:eusa_danc

Thank you Richard!

Graywolf

Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm very glad y'all enjoyed this workshop, thank you all for being victims of my teaching, I look forward to the second one of this workshop, date to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors