Intarsia 101 "THE FINALE"

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdkits1

New User
Mike
Well so far you have seen the progress of this project from the beginning. From the subject photo,to the making of the pattern, to the tracing and cutting and sanding and contouring and tricks and techniques that I use in the creation of intarsia. After cutting and sanding and fitting and cussing a few times I have finally got all 175 pieces from 13 woods in place and am now ready to finish it up. As you will remember I left the pattern in the frame to better keep track of the pieces so now it is time to remove the pattern and glue everything in. I begin by removing several pieces from the top of the intarsia and pull the pattern out,being careful not to disturb the rest of the pieces. [photo]

intarsia101finishing004.jpg

Now that the pattern has been removed and while the few pieces are still out I spread glue on the backboard then replace these pieces. I.m using CA glue so I remove only enough pieces that I can easily put back in 2 or 3 minutes as the next few photos show.

intarsia101finishing008.jpg

This is where making pre-glued units becomes important.

intarsia101finishing009.jpg

intarsia101finishing011.jpg

intarsia101finishing010.jpg

EUREKA-- all the pieces are glued in ,so after cleaning any dust from the surface of the intarsia and also cleaning the frame it is time to apply the finish.

I like to use a spray on satin poly . Setting the finished project on a flat surface in a dust free area I apply 3 coats using a sweeping motion coming in from all 4 directions to insure that all areas are covered including the sides of the frame.{photo]

intarsia101finishing012.jpg

Once the finish is dry I sign it and date it then stand back and tell myself;
Not too bad for an old dumb-assed electrician.

1953F100finished013r.jpg

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
WOW!!! Did that plan come together, or what!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

That really came out super.

You ought to keep this one in mind for entry in the 2010 NCWW calendar contest!

You are a master!!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Remarkable work and thanks for sharing all of the intricate steps to completion!

Wayne

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Mike,

Thanks so much for your wonderful description of your art. It was fascinating from beginning to end. You sir, are an artist. :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Ernie

woodArtz

New User
Bob
That is some beautiful work Mike. Great job on making the truck look even better than the original picture. Thanks for providing the step by step view of your technique. Awesome!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

rita541

New User
rita cunningham
It really looks good.Hope if you are going to the picnic at Jordan Lake you will bring it and any other work you have done to Show and Tell. Some day I will be that good at intarsia.
rita

M

McRabbet

Inspirational, for sure. All I need is a scroll saw, a vast collection of exotic wood, incredible patience and some skill.... oops, I'm lacking most of those! Great job on the tutorials -- maybe one of these days I'll invest in the first item and give it a try.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Inspirational, for sure. All I need is a scroll saw, a vast collection of exotic wood, incredible patience and some skill.... oops, I'm lacking most of those!

I'm lacking ALL of those and would need TONS of skill to do what you did:icon_thum.

Thanks for sharing your expertise with us. I'm sure your friend will really appreciate your handiwork featuring his truck.:eusa_clap

mlzettl

Matt
Corporate Member
Mighty fine work, Mike. The end result is impressive, but the process even more so. Great technique and excellent instruction, thanks for taking the time to share the process with us.

Matt

wdkits1

New User
Mike
I want to thank everyone for the kind comments concerning my "Intarsia 101" tutorial.I hope that you all enjoyed seeing this project come to life as much as I enjoyed sharing it with such a fine group of fellow woodworkers. The inspiration for this project was from my old buddy Art in Texas who at 93 years old still finds it a pleasure to get up in the morning and do something with his hands that many of us can only hope we are able to do if we make it to that age. I talked to Art the other day and he said that he was progressing nicely with his project although his other job [county building official] was slowing him down a little.Can you believe that? Anyway I will be waiting to hear from Art soon and congratulate him on the completion of this project.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS