installing a power feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Roscoe

New User
William
I'm trying to attach a 1 HP powerfeeder on the back surface of my shaper. The cast iron table on the shaper is about 27" square and if I attach the feeder to the rear corner, I'm afraid the fence attachment will bump into it when the fence needs to be pushed back. I thought about adding a piece of steel angle iron (3.5x2"x.25") to the back edge of the shaper. Anybody got any suggestions?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
I just saw a post about that on another forum. I look for it and add it here.

Sorry the post I saw was for adding a powerfeeder to a jointer:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=71374

Any rigid place will work to mount the feeder.

You shouldn't really need to move your fence to the back of the table, however. Remember, most of your operations will require the fence be close to and almost over the bit, the other option is free-hand shaping where you remove the fence- that can be scary. Rarely do you need to move the fence to the back of the table. All the power feeders I've seenb have been mounted to the back corner of the table. Does your shaper have or accept a table extension? Both the front and back of my shaper table have extensions. If you can add and extension table that will give you more room.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
It depends on how long the tubes are that you have for your feeder. My suggestion is to take the base the arms with the feed motor removed and to clamp it to the table and try it. I did not mount mine on my extension tables, but on the main table. It doesn't sit too far back from the fence, but far enough back that I have not had any issue with the table hitting the mounting base.

One other point. Be very careful with how you position your base so that it does not hit any of the ribs when you drill the holes for your bolts.

William Roscoe

New User
William
When the fence is in line with the front edge of the 1" shaft that holds the bit, the back of the fence attachment is about 4 or 5" from the back edge of the shaper. I am somewhat limited as to where I can place the feeder because of the ribs and outer rim on the table. Since I'll probably only need an extra couple of inches, I thought I'd bolt on a piece of 1/4" thick angle iron to give some extra space (3"x2"). I could maybe get some cast iron table extenders. Wonder who sells something like that? I'm thinking the angle iron would be the cheapest and maybe the strongest.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
William, I've got a 3HP Grizzly shaper with a "baby" power feeder on it. I'll take some photo's of my install and post them.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS