Insect holes found in year old Red Oak slab. Could they still be in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Hi all

I just got a big 6" thick Red Oak slab for a roubo workbench. It had been air drying for over a year at the mill. After dusting it off I noticed a couple holes (roughly 1/2" across) that ran about a half inch below the surface of the slab. I'm assuming these are insect holes? I don't mind filling them, but what I want to know is could the insects still be in there boring away? If so, what's the treatment? Thanks.

Dan
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    435.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0722.JPG
    IMG_0722.JPG
    512.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0721.JPG
    IMG_0721.JPG
    959.9 KB · Views: 367

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, that would be it. Carpenter bees. Nothing to worry over just clear it and plug away. Good luck on your build and please share.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Yep, that would be it. Carpenter bees. Nothing to worry over just clear it and plug away. Good luck on your build and please share.
Thanks Richard. I'm sure this won't be the last time I ask for advice on this build. I'll try and document the process.

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
A recent episode on PBS says that carpenter and other types of wood bees are much better pollinators than honey bees and should not be killed if possible. Google bee hotels and wood bee pollination for more info.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
A recent episode on PBS says that carpenter and other types of wood bees are much better pollinators than honey bees and should not be killed if possible. Google bee hotels and wood bee pollination for more info.
Good point Tim! I'm fine with a no-kill solution, but I'm guessing whatever eggs were in there are long gone. If not, I'm not an expert in the bee-egg-extraction/relocation field. :)

Tom from Clayton

tom
Corporate Member
I agree, the eggs are hatched and the bees have flown the coop. If the eggs were still there the holes would be plugged with a waxy substance. Who's Tim?

DTBoss

New User
Dan
I agree, the eggs are hatched and the bees have flown the coop. If the eggs were still there the holes would be plugged with a waxy substance. Who's Tim?
Cool. Thanks Tom. Tim? He's my optometrist who says I don't need glasses to read clearly. "Everything's fine", says Tim.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Personally I would be more concerned regarding the high likelihood of powder post beetle infestation. Best treatment for that slab after on year of air drying would be Bora-care.

You will experience some movement in that bench top over the next 5 years. After that it should stabilize. 6” thick oak will not have dried much if any in the core in only one year.

DTBoss

New User
Dan
Personally I would be more concerned regarding the high likelihood of powder post beetle infestation. Best treatment for that slab after on year of air drying would be Bora-care.

You will experience some movement in that bench top over the next 5 years. After that it should stabilize. 6” thick oak will not have dried much if any in the core in only one year.

Thanks Scott. So after starting to dimension the stock, I AM noticing a lot of the pin-holes from the beetle. The slab's moisture content sits at around 15% on the sides and freshly cut ends. Should I assume that's still too wet to hope the beetles are long gone? If so, I'll look into Bora-core. Thank you.

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
Odds are the powder post beetle eggs are still there and you need to treat the slab. Bora-care is the thing to do. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS