Input required

DaltonEdmonds

New User
Dalton
I currently am working with the mothodest disaster relief helping people In whiteville. There are lots of houses needing help in that area and with current lumber price Increases their funds aren't stretching as far.
M

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
I'd like to shine a light on a great program down in Wilmington. Kids Making It is an awesome program and could always use some financial support as well as some time and talent from experienced woodworkers.

From their site:
Kids Making It is a 501(c)(3) non-profit youth woodworking program that teaches valuable vocational, entrepreneurial and life skills to at-risk, low income and disadvantaged youth. Our goal for every student we serve is for them to stay in school, stay out of trouble, and transition successfully into either the workplace or college.

I do agree with this.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
Didn’t we support them in the past? Anybody else have experience with that group?
Mike,
I think Dave O may have worked with that group back in the day, he had family down there as I recall. I heard Jimmy Pierce speak at a Rotary meeting a while back, he was impressive and his passion was evident. The organization has done some wonderful work with kids and built a solid program as well as a thriving nonprofit along the way.

gritz

New User
Robert
I don't recall seeing this redirection of funds being done before, probably just due to my inattention.
I don't want to start a fracas but I see nothing in this, (copied and pasted from the "About Us" public page of NCWW,) that supports such a decision. Raising money in the name of this NCWW woodworking site and then redirecting those funds to other charities, (no matter how worthy,) is not part of this public declaration of NCWW's purpose. Are any disclosures of this potential redirection made anywhere to the public or to the companies who donate for the raffle or pay to advertise on the site?
NCWW specifically mentions achieving "goals." Were these "goals" not defined when this was written? Are the "goals" so elusive, and donated funds so plenteous that no "goals" can ever be funded? If growth and success has caused this problem, why not reduce the cost of advertising and/or raffle tickets?
I suggest that the possibility of this redirection of donations should be disclosed both in the public pages and when publishing fund raising efforts going forward.

From the NCWW site....

Back in 2005, Steve Coles saw the need for a 'friendlier' website for woodworkers; one where people from all over the southeast could come and talk about woodworking. He had a vision of members sharing photos of their latest creations and the techniques they used to create them. All while building a community where anyone could come and learn new techniques, debate the intricacies of a project, as well as other woodworking disciplines that would help them realize a finished project or simply to learn that new technique. They even invited each other into their wood shops as part of organized shop crawls.

Steve's vision, and yes the entire site, has grown over the years - both in membership, size and in intent. Today our membership continues to make an impact on our region through our online presence and by including more participation in our communities at local festivals, fairs, and woodworking-specific events, and also through our outreach programs. We also see the need to keep the art and craft of woodworking alive and believe it is, and should remain, a significant part of our society. We have enhanced our site to include more information around learning and community events and we hope to use social media and our enhanced platform to engage younger woodworkers.

Our leadership continues to build upon Steve Coles' vision through enhancements to the site while finding and engaging with other like minded woodworking communities. With this vision in mind, we decided to open our membership to all of North America in an effort to help us achieve these goals!

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
I volunteer at the Sandhills Habitat, which is headquartered in Moore County and they build houses in Richmond County as well. They are soon to start construction in Hoke County.
I recently was asked by a member of the Development Committee to make model homes on a plaque for presentation to people reaching a certain level of donations.
I am not a model builder but the lady said she will work with me on coming up with a plan.
This could possibly be an idea NCWW might pursue. Habitat is a very popular and most worthwhile organization. Our association with them would be very positive for us. No money would transfer from us to them, only our skill and craftsmanship.
Any model builders out there?

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
Since much of our funds would otherwise be used for outreach, how about a statewide contest for children's projects? Different age groups with substantial gift certificates to Klingspor. To make it relevant to non participants and to insure it's the kids doing the projects and not the parent, make it a You Tube type video project covering all aspects. How did they design it, wood selection, joinery, finishing etc. Special emphasis on hand tools and deductions for safety violations. No credit given or taken for video production quality but it must show some of each stage of production. Extra credit for successful repairing of mistakes. Perhaps a questionnaire to be filled out explaining the project. Adult Supervision and age appropriate help on camera allowed.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS