Info on sharpening machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Iv been looking at different wet stone sharpening systems like the tormek. However I can not bring my self to spend that much on the tormek. I was really wanting to get the jet jssg-10 but I assume it is not sold in the states I can not find anywhere that sales it. I have been looking at the rikon 82-100 and a mophorn. If anyone has any info on some of these brands and how they perform I would really appreciate the information on them thank you.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I have the Jet, but I dont think its made anymore. I use it constantly and all the Tormek jigs work with it, I have many. I dont know why the Tormek is so expensive either nor know anything about the others though.

mpholway

Board of Directors, Events Director
Matt
Staff member
Corporate Member
I love my Workshop 3000. I am about to but the wide blade attachment.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the 8" Grizzly wet grinder and am very happy with it. I adapted the Tormek carving tool wheel to fit the Griz. There is a thread on here that shows the process.

I paid $79 for mine and recently saw it on sale for $89 in Grizzly's weekly sale flyer. Their 10" model costs more but is still a lot less than the Tormek. All the Tormek jigs fit the Grizzly's. A very good product for the price.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Thank you all. I should of been more specifice I’m going to use it for every thing but mostly turning tools. I emailed jet and they said it is sold In the US but I can not find a seller. I was on the fence about the grizzly but I think I will go with them if I can not find the jet. The tormek s are nice but I just can not bring myself to spend that much when there are other cheaper options and they all produce the same result when used correctly.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Thank you all. I should of been more specifice I’m going to use it for every thing but mostly turning tools. I emailed jet and they said it is sold In the US but I can not find a seller. I was on the fence about the grizzly but I think I will go with them if I can not find the jet. The tormek s are nice but I just can not bring myself to spend that much when there are other cheaper options and they all produce the same result when used correctly.

Turning tools are done best with a normal 8" bench grinder, and a CBN wheel, using a Oneway Wolverine Jig. Once set up sharpening takes less than a minute.

I have been around the block with sharpening, have a Wet grinder which I never seem to use any longer. It takes too much time. Besides honing, I do everything (carving chisels, turning tools, plane irons, knives) on the CBN wheel using the different Wolverine jigs.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...pening-Essentials-6-Piece-Set?term=sharpening

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/97/6876/Raptor-8"-CBN-Sharpening-Wheel?term=sharpening+wheels

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member

Klingspor should be able to get the Jet for you if you want to go that route. Give them a call and they can probably get it into the Asheville Store or have it shipped directly to you. They carry Jet Products so should be able to order it from the distributor if they don't carry it in stock. Not positive of this, but they should be able to help.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Turning tools are done best with a normal 8" bench grinder, and a CBN wheel, using a Oneway Wolverine Jig. Once set up sharpening takes less than a minute.

I have been around the block with sharpening, have a Wet grinder which I never seem to use any longer. It takes too much time. Besides honing, I do everything (carving chisels, turning tools, plane irons, knives) on the CBN wheel using the different Wolverine jigs.

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/...pening-Essentials-6-Piece-Set?term=sharpening

https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/97/6876/Raptor-8"-CBN-Sharpening-Wheel?term=sharpening+wheels

That may be the route I go what is a good grit to use with them? Thank you for the information.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I use the 180 grit for everything, gives a pretty fine grind. Speed of cut more than 10 times faster than a conventional grinder wheel and much less heat generated. Only thing to remember is it should not be used on soft metals such as Aluminum, copper or non-heat treated mild steel. That will reduce the life of the CBN wheel, or clog up the grit.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Dave,

Something to consider: I tell ww'ers learning the art of sharpening by hand is a very worthwhile - and not difficult effort, and I am suggesting you consider it, too. I do use a 6" grinder for the occasional bevel reset but it is rarely ever used, maybe once a year.

As I see it, the two main reasons for a power sharpener are:

1. Time saving. But consider, once proficient, you're back to work in 1-2 minutes by hand (less time than changing a stone, setting up and doing it by machine).

2. Accuracy. So how accurate does a bevel have to be? Many people get hung up on a precise angle and while you need to be fairly accurate, a 5° difference in a bevel is of no practical consequence so even jigs are unnecessary if hand honing.

Personally I wouldn't even consider and expensive machine unless, perhaps, had a production shop with employees in which case there may be some time saving and eliminate variables between people.

The only exception to this would be lathe chisels. I sharpen them with a grinder. I think the Wolverine jig is the way to go.

Like I said, something to consider.

Davebrad

New User
Dave
I use the 180 grit for everything, gives a pretty fine grind. Speed of cut more than 10 times faster than a conventional grinder wheel and much less heat generated. Only thing to remember is it should not be used on soft metals such as Aluminum, copper or non-heat treated mild steel. That will reduce the life of the CBN wheel, or clog up the grit.

Thanks for the information I believe I will go that route since I already have a bench grinder.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User

I disagree... I can sharpen a bowl gouge in under 30 seconds with a perfect grind everytime. I use my wet grinder for everything, chisels , all my turning tools, plane blades... Its a matter of preference and I prefer the we grinder. I know the CBN wheels work, but I go from wet to hone to a mirror finish on the same machine.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
I disagree... I can sharpen a bowl gouge in under 30 seconds with a perfect grind everytime. I use my wet grinder for everything, chisels , all my turning tools, plane blades... Its a matter of preference and I prefer the we grinder. I know the CBN wheels work, but I go from wet to hone to a mirror finish on the same machine.
To each his own. I use to do the same thing as you for many years. The OP though is looking at mainly turning tools though, most of us don’t hone those.

For honing, after the CBN wheel I still do the same I use to when I used the wet grinder. Plane irons, carving chisels etc. For me the honing after CBN takes the same time as when I used the wet grinder.

Perhaps you have a better system than me?

This is the one I have, but it is real slow. My CBN wheel will remove in 15 seconds the same amount of metal that this grinder will remove in 20 minutes.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G1036?utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Last edited:

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Iv been looking at different wet stone sharpening systems like the tormek. However I can not bring my self to spend that much on the tormek. I was really wanting to get the jet jssg-10 but I assume it is not sold in the states I can not find anywhere that sales it. I have been looking at the rikon 82-100 and a mophorn. If anyone has any info on some of these brands and how they perform I would really appreciate the information on them thank you.

I have one, bought Tormek jigs for it on A.......com it works fine. If you'd like to talk shop about it give me a call. All the best with your hunt!

Davebrad

New User
Dave
Thank you all for the info. I went with the wolverine set up and a CBN wheel. I’m happy with it too it’s better then what I had and more affordable then a lot of other options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS