Infinity Router Bits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevens62

New User
Jim Stevens
I am looking to purchase a raised door router bit set, thought that Soomerfield/CMT set was the way to go. But just got a flyer from Infinity that has a set for the same price and includes a glue joint bit. I have several CMT bits and know they are great pieces, but have never used an Infinity bit. Anyone have any experiance with Infinity bits????

BobN

New User
Bob
I just got the "Entry & Passage Door "set from them. Haven't used them yet, will probably be this coming week end before I do.

However their delivery time was pretty quick. I ordered them at noon time last Monday and they arrived on Thursday.

Bob

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
The owner of Infinity is the son of the person who started Jesada. Both Infinity and Jesada were clones of CMT bits because Carlos, who started Jesada used to contract manufacture for CMT. I have a few of the Infinity bits and the quality and service have been great. My only complaint is that my set was not available with a back cutter on the raised panel bit, it is a separate bit.

jstevens62

New User
Jim Stevens
This set does have the back cutter on it, it was a must for me. Here the set is, they say it is a new product.
00-205.jpg

M

McRabbet

The same folks are running Razor Tools (www.razorwoodworks.com) that now markets the Jesada line of bits -- I picked up their catalog and bought a few spiral bits at the Charlotte Woodworking Show in February -- They have a seven piece 1/2" shank called the "Kitchen Master™ Set that includes ogee panel raising and ogee rail/stile bits, reverse glue joint, flush trim bit, a back cutting bit and a drawer lock joint bit (plus an arched door pattern set) for $289.90. At the Charlotte show last year, I bought a 5-piece ogee cabinetmaker's set from Woodline USA for $105 (it is now $119 online). This set has a backcutting panel raising bit and instead of a trim bit with the Jesada set, it has a door lip bit. This year at the Greensboro Wood Expo, bought a 3 piece straight panel raising / rail / stile set for $65, similar to this ogee set. These are more economical than the Razor/Jesada bits and I've been happy with them.

BTW, Steve D reported some ordering problems with Razor Tools some time back -- you may want to PM him before placing an order.

Rob

Charles M

New User
Charles
BobN said:
I just got the "Entry & Passage Door "set from them. Haven't used them yet, will probably be this coming week end before I do.
Bob
Hey Bob, I'm curious as to how you are going to do the joinery on the doors you make with those bits?

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
McRabbet said:
BTW, Steve D reported some ordering problems with Razor Tools some time back -- you may want to PM him before placing an order.

Rob

I had dealt with Carlos dating back to the CMT days (pull an old American Woodworker, he the guy in the Tux) and continued to do business with Jesada after the split with CMT. I had purchased from them many times in the past with great success. I placed an online order like I always did but when a week went by and I hadn't received shipping notification, I called to get a tracking number and discovered their phones were disconnected. I sent emails to the site and they went unanswered. I did a websearch at that point and it revealed that several woodworkers around the country had encountered the same problem. These posts dated back several months. I checked with my credit card company and my card had been charged so I disputed the charge and called the Florida Attorney General's office. About 2 weeks later I got a call from someone at Jesada who lied to me and tried to blame it on one of the recent hurricane. He said they were just back ordered. I confronted him with the fact that there were internet postings dating back 6 months which indicated their phones were disconnected (well before the hurricane). When he realized he was caught in a lie he said they weren't going to be selling to the public anymore and hung up.

Very long story short...I got my money back and ordered from Infinity. The Infinity order was at my house 2 days later with standard shipping.

BobN

New User
Bob
Charles M said:
Hey Bob, I'm curious as to how you are going to do the joinery on the doors you make with those bits?

Charles, not sure I understand your question. If you are referring to doing mortise and tenon, no I just going to go with a rail & stile joint. These are interior doors and I believe the rail & stile joint will be fine. I had looked at Freud's new entry & interior door set and came very close to buying them. I just didn't like the 3/8" groove that the Freud set uses. The Infinity set uses a 1/4" groove and this matches what I have been using on the other doors. If I was just starting on the doors and hadn't already done some I would probably had gone with the Freud set.

I have 14 interior doors in the house and I have replaced 6 of them so far just using a round over bit and the table saw to make the groove and molding for the panel. Saw your ad for the new door set and I figure I would give it a try on one door, but your set would require a different panel while the Infinity set wouldn't.

Bob

Charles M

New User
Charles
Bob,

You understood the question as I meant it. Even for the interior doors I would recommend that you at least dowel them for extra strength. This can be done after the doors are glued and clamped.

The reason we went with the 3/8" groove is to give a beefier tenon and it works well with standard cabinet door raised panel bits.

How about posting some pics of your doors?

BobN

New User
Bob
Charles M said:
Bob,

The reason we went with the 3/8" groove is to give a beefier tenon and it works well with standard cabinet door raised panel bits.

How about posting some pics of your doors?

Charles, I'm using a 1 3/16" thick panel along with the Freud 99-515 panel bit. This gives me a 1/4" edge. Like I said before if I hadn't started with this size panel then I would have went with your bit set which I do think is better.

Attached are a few pictures of a couple of my doors. Please don't judge the doors by the quality of my photography. If the pictures upload you can see that I have a dutch door, swinging doors for the family room and regular doors.

Attachments

• P1010062 (600 x 449).jpg
    P1010062 (600 x 449).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 197
  • P1010063 (600 x 449).jpg
    P1010063 (600 x 449).jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 185

BobN

New User
Bob
here's the rest of the doors.

Attachments

• P1010064 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010064 (572 x 428).jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 183
  • P1010065 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010065 (572 x 428).jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 186
  • P1010066 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010066 (572 x 428).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 196
  • P1010067 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010067 (572 x 428).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 185

Charles M

New User
Charles
BobN said:
Charles, I'm using a 1 3/16" thick panel along with the Freud 99-515 panel bit. This gives me a 1/4" edge. Like I said before if I hadn't started with this size panel then I would have went with your bit set which I do think is better.

Attached are a few pictures of a couple of my doors. Please don't judge the doors by the quality of my photography. If the pictures upload you can see that I have a dutch door, swinging doors for the family room and regular doors.

Very Nice!! I understand what you mean about the panels.

BobN

New User
Bob
and some door pictures.

Attachments

• P1010068 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010068 (572 x 428).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 163
  • P1010070 (600 x 449).jpg
    P1010070 (600 x 449).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 196
  • P1010071 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010071 (572 x 428).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 168
  • P1010072 (572 x 428).jpg
    P1010072 (572 x 428).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 172

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Those look great! Making the doors is just part of it, your mortises for hinges, and lock set alignment look great as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS