Incra table saw/router table joinery system

Status
Not open for further replies.

joec

joe
User
I have almost decided to replace my existing router table (Norm's style) and table saw fence with the Incra system which uses the same fence for both operations. I was wondering if anyone out there had this and could offer some advice on it.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't have the Incra table saw fence, but I do have the Incra Jig Ultra router table kit. It is a great fence system. Very accurate and very repeatable.

I also have a couple of other Incra tools and have found them to be of very good quality and easy to use.

joec

joe
User
Unless I am missing something, with the router table on the right side of the table saw, I would have to bend over to push the work through the router bit. Now, I can stand up over the work as it goes through. Maybe a small thing, but do not have a handle on it.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
I don't have the Incra table saw fence, but I do have the Incra Jig Ultra router table kit. It is a great fence system. Very accurate and very repeatable.

I also have a couple of other Incra tools and have found them to be of very good quality and easy to use.

Do you do many dovetails with the incra? I was wondering how easy it is to setup each time you want to do them. I read that they are a pain to initially dial them in.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
I have a 52" rail set on my TS fence and therefore a large extension board to the right side of the blade. I have mounted my router there. A few comments on this type of setup.

1. I would not like to have one fence system for both TS and router. Setups take a lot of time to create, and as I work on projects I have needed my TS and not wanted to break down my router setup to use the rip fence. That may be the haphazard way I work, but I expect that over time you will find the same thing. The reproducibility of the Incra system will however be a distinct advantage here, although I expect it will take more than a few seconds to reproduce the setups.

2. Here's how I work on the router table. The fence of the router table is to the left of the bit (looking from the front of the TS) and between the router bit and the TS blade. This means I use the router table feeding material from the back of the TS extension table towards the front of the TS. Placement of the router insert is key. I like having a reasonable working space between the right end of the extension table (which in essence becomes the front of the router setup) and the router bit, but I do not want to have to bend over to reach that. You have to find that happy medium: enough space but not reaching.

3. While any setup is a compromise, I like this better than a free standing router table in my already congested shop (congested in part because of my 52" rails on my TS). It not a perfect setup (the router table has some sag), but it works for me and I live with it. One other disadvantage is that clamping router fences is not particularly easy due to the uneven and somewhat haphazard support system I have for that big TS extension board.

I hope this helps your thinking on this.

Henry W

joec

joe
User
Henry. If I understand this, you have the router fence mounting on the side table to the right of your tablesaw. As you slide your TS fence to the right, eventually it would have to stop due to the router fence?

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Do you do many dovetails with the incra? I was wondering how easy it is to setup each time you want to do them. I read that they are a pain to initially dial them in.

The only dovetails I have made using the Incra were sliding dovetails for a removable shelf. So, essentially just like a dado or groove with a different router bit.

I have made quite a few box joints with this system. I find the setup to be pretty easy. I just zero the scale at the center line of the board, cut the first slot, then move the fence back to the next mark for the next 2 slots, repeat until I run out of board. The set of ruler scales that come with the kit makes it pretty easy.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Henry. If I understand this, you have the router fence mounting on the side table to the right of your tablesaw. As you slide your TS fence to the right, eventually it would have to stop due to the router fence?

Exactly - if I have the router fence and TS fence both mounted, the TS fence would bump the router fence as the TS fence was slid to the right.

This setup allows me to work on the right end of the TS extension board, in essence making that my router table. The setup works well (exceptions noted in original post) except when I have a long piece to crosscut. Long means longer than maybe 3' or so.

Henry W

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Joe - I've got this system and love it though I've not gotten into all the fancy router joinery features yet. I'm in Durham but if you'd like to come up and check it out first I'd be happy to have you. The only problem I had with it was the amount of space required by the positioner when it's moved all the way to the right. It requires and additional 3ft or so of clearance past the edge of your table. I had to do some creative re-modeling in my shop to get it to work. Here are a few pictures...
IMG_1230.JPG

View image in gallery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS