In case you are looking to be a woodworker

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodlaker2

Ray
Corporate Member
Interesting video. Having been trained as a patternmaker it was interesting to actually a segment on that topic as part of this video. Brought back memories of working summers in a job shop and foundry as a high school/ trade school student . Thanks for sharing.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I'm a regular Jedi master at spending money on tools and supplies. Unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to take woodshop back when I was in school ('77 to '90), simply wasn't offered at my rural school (Trenton, FL).

Thankfully, by way of my grandfather, I spent my summer vacations learning electrical, plumbing, and construction. Had the opportunity to build a number of barns of various styles and a few houses (from the mundane to the eclectic, built by my grandfather, myself, and occassionaly a third or fourth helper). Those were the summer vacations I really enjoyed (and cherish).

Thanks for sharing.

Glennbear

Glenn
Thanks for sharing this was an interesting video. I find the fact that the plywood shown in the rough carpentry section was free of edge voids particularly noteworthy. Oh how I long for the "good old days" sometimes. :gar-La;

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Wow. 1940?!?!!? I saw routers and plywood, poured foundations, framing, etc. Some things have changed, but not much! It's also interesting how even back then most furniture was machine-made, and only higher-end pieces were built in cabinet- and furniture shops. Very cool video.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Dad was a carpenter in the 40s & 50s. That worm drive circular saw would cost about 1 month's salary then. Most carpenters had 2 hand saws & a file. They'd keep a bottle of kerosene to put on the saw & file up the teeth at lunchtime. A good saw sharpener could make a needle slide down the teeth of the saw without falling off.
Helping him in the summer months I don't remember using plywood on a house until the late 60s. All sheathing was 1 x 6 diagonally laid on the floors & walls until then.
After pushing a handsaw all day you wouldn't want to get into a boxing match with most carpenters. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS