Improved Factory Miter Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejones

New User
Dave
I was really beginning to notice the shortcomings of the miter gauge that came with my TS. There was upwards of 1/16th of an inch of play between the guide (basically a flat washer) and the slot. The bar itself wasn't this loose, but it moved maybe 1/32nd or so. That error of course is multiplied as the length of cut increases.

Factory Fit:
Old_Guide_1.JPG

I ran the numbers by accounting (my wife) but they said an Incra just wasn't in the budget, so I came up with this cheap improvement instead. This is very basic, but I thought it might be good for some of the other beginners to see.

I started with a flat washer just slightly bigger than the original guide:
Flat_Washer_Compare.JPG

I then modified it so the machine screw would sit below the surface of the washer and then replaced the original guide with the new washer. With the washer mounted to the miter bar, I file both sides flat until it fit snugly in the miter slot.

Modified Washer:
Flat_Washer_After.JPG

Here is what it looks like now:
New_Guide_1.JPG

A much better fit and I actually stayed under budget so there was no kickback from accounting!!! :eusa_danc

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
The washer isn't there to center the bar, but rather to prevent it from falling when pulled back at the beginning of a cut. Reid Industries sells nylon tipped set screws that can be added to miter bar to take up slop. Drill bar, tap hole with right size tap, and add set screws. Adjust to take out slop. It takes longer to "jig up" to drill holes than anything else.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
OR you can use a center punch or nail set to dimple the side of the bar. this wil raise little ridges arount the dents you just made. if you go to far and make it tighter than needed just file the ridges a little. cost? 0$!:icon_thum

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Cool solution, Dave!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

(Has anyone out there heard of a factory miter gauge that actually runs true to the slot with no slop??? Are the manufacturer's of Jessem, Incra etc. in cahoots with the TS manufacturer's??:dontknow::dontknow: I just don't understand!)

Wayne

woodnick

New User
Nick
Here's my solution to loose Miter Gauges: Drill and tap for a 1/8" pipe plug then cut a slot in the middle of the bar then adjust tap depth until plug is below top and the bar is spread to fit slot

Miter_Gage_009.jpg

Miter_Gage_008.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS