Improved dust collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

New User
Rob
Several weeks ago I came across a small 1 HP dust collector. Since I already had one, connected to a few of my tools, I dedicated this to my lathe. It came with a 30 gal cardboard dust bin.
dustbin_7_.JPG

It had no separator so just dumped inside as well as passing through the bag, and cleaning up after 3 or 4 bowls, would fill up much too fast.

So I bought a pickle barrel. (2 actually but one will be a rain barrel)

dustbin.JPG

Now these are neat, with the screw on lid, but the mouth is much narrower then the body, making it difficult to get my home made separator in. So after a little modification, I came up with a solution.

dustbin_2_.JPG

Have saw, will travel. Actually my air powered auto body saw did awesome work on the plastic.

Now to build my separator. I really hate working with MDF, but it does work well for this. Cut the circles out with my router and circle jig I got from Rockler.com a while back.

dustbin_3_.JPG

It's upside down right now. For anyone that hasn't used one, they do work awesome. I've had one on my major dust collector, I've had to empty the bag once, and that was because I wasn't paying attention while planeing and over filled my trash can.

Picture of it all put together.

dustbin_4_.JPG

Now it question was, what to do with it once full. I didn't want to work hard carrying it outside to dump, this sucker will probably get heavy fast. So one of my furniture dollies and some scrap wood.

dustbin_5_.JPG

Now I just wheel it where my dump site is.

A vacuum wand attachment and I now have total sanding dust collection and floor clean up for my lathe.

dustbin_6_.JPG

I will probably grab a couple more pickle barrels, would like to upgrade to a larger bin for my other dust collector and another rain barrel.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Nice job, Rob. I was waiting to see the end result. I'd like to find a couple barrels also.

Glennbear

Glenn
Nicely done Rob :eusa_clap A seperator IMHO is the only way to fly. I like the wheeled carrier idea also. :wsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS