Impressive but unsafe Russian woodturner video.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
He's probably made thousands of things on that lathe, I saw very similar vid of women making nesting dolls. Not a single wasted motion.

Reminds me of an old saying...
Those who say it can't be done should get out of the way of those doing it.

Sam Knight

Sam Knight
Sam
Corporate Member
I've seen another video somewhere with a turner using a similar homemade looking skew chisel. He is definitely skilled with it. And that hooked tool, looks like one the pole lathe turners use. Cool video! Thanks for sharing.

Mike Mills

New User
Mike
He is really good and I did not see anything unsafe to me. He did turn the lathe off about 3:20 to remove the top.
He has several videos and can use it like a spindle gouge for small coves which is almost impossible with a skew because of the width of the skew. He only uses the very tip for the smallest coves.

There is a US turned who also has a couple of video's using the tool. He made the tool and even sells them.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Im quite certain hes seen his fair share of catches over the years but to say its unsafe, Im not sure thats true. Hes OBVIOUSLY extremely talented with a skew. It takes untold hours of practice to get this good and Im certain he knows where those risky areas are. I dont think this was ever intended to be a "do it this way" video, just a place for him to show his awesome technique and I for one, certainly am in awe of turners like this.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This is why I will no longer work in public.

What one person may consider extremely dangerous to another is completely normal and safe.

I know I do things that some people don't like. I'm not going to change for them.

I'll just keep it to myself.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS