IMPORTANT: New version of Vbulletin.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm going out on a limb here. There is a new version coming out, the infamous version 4.

That is not what I'm here to report, its the new license fees and the departure of a sizable number of the core team from Jelsoft.

There will not be a demo version of v4 for us to test.

I raise this first to give the Board time to assess this. Secondly, if we need to consider alternative forum tools, we have a lot of work ahead of us.

Here is a very long thread filled with a lot of comments about the new upgrade and issues with the new owners of vBulletin. http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320315

This is the announcement in AdminCP:

vBulletin News: Announcing the Presale Event for vBulletin 4.0 Suite and Important License Changes

We hope your community is enjoying the flexibility and power of vBulletin™. As always, our goal is to offer a great product at a great price, and we are dedicated to helping you build and grow successful online communities.

Over the last 12 months, we have been building vBulletin 4.0 to be the most powerful forum and social publishing software. Today, we are proud to introduce the new vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite product that includes the power of the vBulletin 4.0 Forums with a seamlessly integrated content management system (Compound Miter Saw) and blogging platform.

As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer the vBulletin Publishing Suite at a pre-sale discount price of only $130 (over 50% off regular price). This is a truly limited one-time special offer giving you $120 off the upgrade price but will expire on Friday October 30, 2009.

Learn more about vBulletin Publishing Suite features and pricing on our new website: http://www.vbulletin.com/

Beginning today, we are introducing new a license structure. vBulletin is changing to a one-time owned license fee for each major point release. That means no more annual renewal fees. Once you purchase a major point version, you’ll receive maintenance, security and minor point releases for the life of 4.x.

You have the option to keep your current active license until it expires (according to the 12 month term and conditions). For the remainder of your active license, you will continue to receive support and have access to forum software updates, including vBulletin 4.0 Forums. Once your license expires you will only be able to access the 4 Series software updates by switching to the new one-time owned license. For more information, visit the vBulletin FAQ.

Over the last 10 years, our products have offered an exceptional value and we look forward to bringing you the best and keeping you as a loyal customer. Our team is expanding in number and expertise in order to develop more innovative features and to deliver them faster. We are investing in exciting development areas such as new products and services for 'Big Boards' and mobile applications and look forward to helping you grow your community.

Sincerely, The vBulletin Team​

Also, today we got this in AdminCP:

vBulletin News: Pre-Sale offer for customers with expired licenses

Due to an overwhelming response and interest in the pre-sale event for vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite, we've decided to extend an offer to those customers with inactive licenses.

For licenses that expired in the last 12 months, we are offering an extra $45 discount for advance ordering, in addition to the publicly available pre-sale savings of $50. This means the all new vB 4.0 Publishing Suite will cost you only $190, a total savings of $95.

For licenses that expired more than 12 month ago, we are offering an extra $25 discount for advance ordering, in addition to the publicly available pre-sale savings of $50. This means the all new vB 4.0 Publishing Suite will cost you only $210, a total savings of $75.

These limited time offers expire on October 30, 2009. Beginning on October 31, the price will be $285.

You will be able to take advantage of this offer in the next couple of days - we are currently working to make it an option in your shopping cart. We will notify you once this offer is live on the website.​

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Something else, Jelsoft is trying to sell us a product that is still in Alpha testing. We are being asked to pay for software with no release date.

I would be rather wary shelling out funds on the "promise" of a future release.

A lot of threads and posts are quite angry over this.

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I saw the same thing and was planning on looking on some of the forums to see what others were saying. Thanks for doing it for me:notworthy::notworthy:.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
What is the End of Support date/timeline for our current release of vBulletin?

I am not an advocate for running the latest and greatest software. I would rather let someone else find and work out the bugs.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'm hoping Tracy has our license info.

While I love running new stuff (for the purpose of full disclosure :eek:), when vb 4.0 goes live, they will stop updates for 3.8.x releases. It is unclear if they will continue to offer support for 3.x.

Jim

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
I Do indeed have it. I will log in tonight and find out and post it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS