Identify this wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
cskipper said:
Thanks for that info. I was wondering what to do with it. Where do I find veneer softening spray?

Cathy,
Woodcraft and Klingspor's Woodworking Shop both carry veneer softener. A 16 oz spray bottle will run you about $10. Woodcraft is where I picked up my last bottle. I also have a recipe for making veneer softener which is what I did the first time I work with veneer. I just had a hard time finding a source for one of the ingredients (glycerine). I finally found a small bottle in a craft store near the cake making stuff........go figure. Besides the glycerine, you also add alcohol and water. Its easy to make. I can find the portions and post it here if you are interested in making your own.

D L

cskipper

Cathy
I'd appreciate the specifics about the ingredients. I'm such a procrastinator that I'll probably buy it but it would be nice to know how to make it. Thanks.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Cathy, here are the portions to make a gallon. 1 gallon of water, 8 oz. alcohol (I used denatured alcohol), and 8 oz. of glycerine. I had a heck of a time finding the glycerine but as I mentioned above, look in a craft store under the cake making stuff. I guess glycerine is used for making frosting for cakes.

I cut the numbers down and only made about a pint of it when I tried it. It works just as well as the stuff you buy in the store. You use it the same way as Steve D described in his post.

I hope this helps.

D L

chris99z71

New User
Chris
If you need any chemicals in the future, ask your friendly neighborhood chemist! ;)
We buy glycerine (AKA glycerol) by the 5 gallon bucket.

Last edited:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Shhhh! That's what I told them at work and they believe me!
Actually, I'm an analytical biochemist...trust me, it sounds alot fancier than it really is...

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks Chris, now maybe I can find it in a larger quantity. Those little 2 oz. bottles from the craft store just weren't cutting it. Plus, I always felt like I had to put a disguise on so no one would recognize me before I went wondering through the cake making aisle of the craft store.:lol:

D L

M

Mac

At first, my reaction was Red Mallee Burl. But, upon closer examination of the bottom piece, I think it is Maple, dyed a Cherry or Red Oak stain. Maple Burl is duller brown than regualr Maple, so the color with the dye would create a beautiful red, hence the Red Oak thought. Wouldn't tak emuch red tint to bring it out. I have worked a lot with burls, expecially Maple Burl, and I can see hints and resembelence (sp.?) of Bird's Eye, common to the Maple Burl. The matching top piece, since the color is the same, is of the same species, and would make since the dye would be the same. (I wouldn't want to have to go through that many variations of Japan Colors to match it.) The top piece doesn't have much burl to it, and I would place it in the figured category. Therefore, we are looking at figured, burled with hints of Bird's Eye, and obvious dying creating the same color in different wood densities. I would say... Maple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS