Identification help

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Just completed levelling and sanding this crotch mini-slab. At first I thought it was birch, but now leaning to poplar. Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_1858.JPG
    IMG_1858.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 198

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Based on the first pic, my guess would be Hickory. However, the bark in the second pic doesn't look like Hickory. I've got some Hickory in the shop that looks a lot like the first pic.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I’m sorry, I have learned to go more on feel, smell, weight, end grain, and not depend on photos for id, have been fooled by photos too many times.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
The bark does look like hickory but you should be able to see the much more open grain of hickory from birch or poplar. I don't see any of the greenish tint or different look of heartwood of poplar though. You might need to send a piece to the Forestry Lab

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
It's kind of funny, the first picture makes me think poplar, especially the dark grain color and pattern in the crotch, but the second looks more like pignut hickory because of the wood color and bark.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Looks like a type of hickory from the bark in pic 2 and that dark brown patch is similar to hickory heartwood but it's pretty small.

What does the slab weigh? It should feel pretty heavy if it's hickory while birch and poplar are lightweights in comparison.

RobS.

Robert Slone
Senior User
Looks like pecan to me. I have some in my barn and the bark and wood in the pictures look an awful lot like what I have.

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Thanks for all your inputs. Its not real heavy, and not super hard, so I think its probably not hickory. Not as hard as cherry and harder than poplar. Hardness seems to be on a par with soft maple or walnut. Had not thought about pecan - that is a possibility.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Thanks for all your inputs. Its not real heavy, and not super hard, so I think its probably not hickory. Not as hard as cherry and harder than poplar. Hardness seems to be on a par with soft maple or walnut. Had not thought about pecan - that is a possibility.

Pecan (Carya illinoinensis) is a very close relative to the hickory family (Carya sp.). It has about the same hardness and weight/cubic foot as hickory. It's definitely not black walnut but soft maple may be a good choice.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Looks like hickory maybe bitternut or sand hickory ?........... there are at least a dozen varieties of Hickory .......... I'm guessing Hickory

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS