Ideas for first workbench

Kerrbuggs1

New User
Kenny
I'm looking to build my first workbench, but wanting to start a little simple. Any good website/tutorial recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Can o' worms.jpg

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
I know my Can O Worms was not helpful but asking what to do for your first workbench is like a kid asking what should be my first car. Add some details like what kind of work you might be doing, what's your budget, hand tools, power tools, etc. My 1st bench was Chris Schwarz's $175 workbench. That would be a good start (Google it).

Kerrbuggs1

New User
Kenny
I totally get it Pete, no problem. I'm wanting to start with 'small' projects first, such as a small bookshelf or end table. But also just to practice and get more experience with hand tools.

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
For learning, I found this download informative. YMMV.
THE ANARCHIST’S WORKBENCH By Christopher Schwarz
And now the shop is in storage while the hunt for a better space continues.

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Watch a number of YT videos of work bench builds and I'm sure one will jump out at you.

I don't have a lot of room and a bench has to double as an assembly table, outfeed table, etc. I've got some plans drawn up and will be building one soon.

Right now I've got saw horses that fold up, a couple 2x6s, and a 3'x6' sheet of OSB that is my portable workbench.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
A "NEW FANGLED WORKBENCH" by John White at FWW ca 1998. My first workbench and introduction to woodworking. Mine is 5' long x 26" wide x 38" high. It's made from 2 x 10s and 2 x 12s from a big box store that were ripped on the table saw to about 3" wide.

I do a little hand plane work and it is stable enough and weighs much less than 200 lbs.

Attachments

• Planing_Beam_Face_Clamps | NC Woodworker.pdf
    1,008 KB · Views: 104

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
It depends a lot on your style of woodworking, what vises you want and plan to use, if you want to use holdfast or clamp things to the bench. If you are a power tool only woodworker then an assembly style table may work better for you, if you enjoy hand tools more then a roubo style or moravian style may be better. Brad from Fix this Build that makes a bunch of cool stuff, pretty sure he only has assembly tables and no workbenches.

wooduser

New User
Lecil
Here is one fairly simple from Popular Woodworking.

Lecil

Attachments

• Workbench.pdf
    4.6 MB · Views: 140

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors