I super sized my drill press table

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I recently built a 30" X 60" work bench for the Outreach Trailer and when it came time to drill the holes for the bench dogs, I did a lot of head scratching. I wanted them to be square to the top and drilled cleanly. I figured using my drill press was the best way to go but the issue of supporting the top on the drill press table was a big one (no pun intended). At first I thought of building a temporary platform around the drill press table but then the light came on to bring the drill press to my assembly table and let it function as the drill press table. All I had to do to complete the setup was to build risers to put the piece to be drilled within reach of the quill travel. As you can see in the photo, the riser nearest the drill press has a fence on it to make alignment to the center point of each hole easier. It worked like a charm! I went ahead and drilled a second set of holes down the other side in case we decide to add a second vise.

Thanks for looking.

bobby g

Attachments

• DSC00453.JPG
    DSC00453.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC00454.JPG
    DSC00454.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSC00455.JPG
    DSC00455.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC00456.JPG
    DSC00456.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Bob. Of course, it helps being 7'6" to reach over the table and actually operate the drill press. I'd have to climb up onto the table :rolf:

BTW, another good option for drilling holes square to the table is to use a plunge router. You only need to plunge about 1" deep, then finish off with a drill and (sharp!) spade bit. The starter hole keeps everything in line. But for multiple tables, I'm sure the drill press was faster.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Bobby,

When you said "Super-Sized" you certainly meant it! I think one word -- "Wow!" -- pretty much sums it up. :rolf:

One of these days I need to build a better drill press table for my drill press, but until then I usually get by bolting a piece of 3/4" MDF to the table when needed. The only drawback is the MDF isn't tiltable, which is another upgrade I'd like to make to a future drill press table.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Very nice Bob. Of course, it helps being 7'6" to reach over the table and actually operate the drill press. I'd have to climb up onto the table :rolf:

BTW, another good option for drilling holes square to the table is to use a plunge router. You only need to plunge about 1" deep, then finish off with a drill and (sharp!) spade bit. The starter hole keeps everything in line. But for multiple tables, I'm sure the drill press was faster.

Even though I'm tall and have long arms, I just stood beside the drill press and operated it that way.:gar-Bi

Thanks for the alternate method. A friend of mine just purchased an upcut router bit from MLCS made for boring dog holes. It really seems odd "drilling" a 3/4" hole at 12,000 RPM though.

bobby g

jhreed

New User
james
Bobby, do you still have your slide rule? If not, I can loan you my Picket, Post, Dietzgen, or Kauyfuld und Esser. Maybe I should have said K&E instead of making a spelling mistake. The batteries never go dead in mine.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
good thinkin'!! :thumbs_up

That second set of holes will come in handy for gramercy-type bench clamps if there is under-the-top clearance to use them.

Go

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Very cool, I think I saw some of that setup when I was there this morning to pick up the OVRX install tool. BTW, I used a router to start the dog holes in my 5" thick maple workbench and then finished them up with a hand auger. You see me doing that in my avitar pic.

- Ken.

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
good thinkin'!! :thumbs_up

That second set of holes will come in handy for gramercy-type bench clamps if there is under-the-top clearance to use them.

Go

Good idea! There is clearance and the holes are in hard maple blocks sandwiched between the plywood faces.

bobby g

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
Bobby, do you still have your slide rule? If not, I can loan you my Picket, Post, Dietzgen, or Kauyfuld und Esser. Maybe I should have said K&E instead of making a spelling mistake. The batteries never go dead in mine.

I still have my K&E James. Man did we ever do the work with them in electronics school.

bobby g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors