I need a Shelf Drilling Jig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Does anybody in the Mooresville area have a shelf drilling jig that I can borrow for a day or so.Got a job that needs to get done so I don't have the time to spend making one or ordering one.I will order one this coming week but need to get this done today.PM me if you can help. Need the 1/4" but I can buy the bit at the Borg
Thanx,Greg

Glennbear

Glenn
Just a suggestion here, I have used a piece of pegboard to layout shelf pin holes, just be sure to label your bottom/top reference edges. :wsmile:

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Glenn,
Thanx for the tip,got one of those setups and was never really happy with it.I want one that uses the vix type drills with a preset depth.Thanx,
Greg

gator

George
Corporate Member
I'm like Glenn. I use pegboard. As long as I am careful with 'top-bottom' and 'front-back' registration and clamp it in place, I have no problems. I use a standard brad-point bit and wrap masking tape around it for depth indicator. I could use drill stop collars but I can do it faster with a quick piece of tape. I really don't think I could do it any faster with a jig that I would have to adjust stops on and still register it and clamp it and then have to futch with adjusting a vix bit, etc, etc.
Just my belief in the KISS system.

George

Woodman2k

Greg Bender
Corporate Member
Well the job is done. Ending up using Robb Parker's Blum Line Boring machine and if that does not spoil me nothing will. 7 holes at a time plus the indexing pin to sync the next set. I ordered a jig with the vix style forstner bit because I have used the peg board,masking tape,use the right set of holes method and well,I guess I'll just pass on that process.Thanx for the offers ,
Greg

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
Only takes about 30 minutes to make one with a fortsner bit and a drill press. Then use a plunge router with a bushing on to make the holes. Plans for this type are available all over the internet.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Search NCWW for the post about Bas's tip, ie shelf hole drilling gizmo, which recently appeared in a national WW'ing magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors