I might as well gloat too

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricS

Eric
Senior User
I was talking to a guy that works for me the other day and was telling him I wanted to build a woodworking bench and he mentioned he had a vise that was his dads and had been carring it al over the USA for the past 25 years and wanted to get ride of it. So he brought it in and asked me what I woulld give for it. We settled on a C-note. So once I get my shop up to speed this will be my first real project. My plans to start on a boat are moving further out every day.Here's a pic I know you love pictures.
Record_53E_vise.jpg

View image in gallery

Its got a little dust on it, luckily I didnt have to pay extra for it.
EricS

richidoo

New User
Rich
Looks big and heavy. :thumbs_up

What kind of boat are you (soon) building? I would like to build a sailing dinghy. But my wife says [EVIL]Only 5 hobbies at a time![/EVIL]

If you are a sailor - a reminder that America's Cup Regatta starts Monday.
http://americascup.com

Glennbear

Glenn
Cool Eric, having the vice in hand before you build the bench makes design a lot easier. :wsmile:

EricS

Eric
Senior User
As for the boat I'm building It is a lapstrake built rowing boat with sailing rig somewhat on the lines of a white hall. I have plans from Duck-Trap. I just started lofting last week. Right now I have way to many pokers in the fire so my lofting will be put on hold for a month or two. I will be posting plenty of picks as it move forward.
EricS

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Nice vise. :cool:

I have the Record clone as a front vise on my bench and like it a lot. Bet the original is much nicer.

Chuck

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
It is a lapstrake built rowing boat with sailing rig somewhat on the lines of a white hall. /QUOTE]
Great. I have had a hankering for a nice pulling boat for quite a while. Do you plan to build glued-lap or traditional? I started an Oughtred Arctic Tern (18' double ender) last summer. Got the planking done before it turned cold. On hold for now, but plenty of other projects.

Good Luck.

-G

EricS

Eric
Senior User
Do you plan to build glued-lap or traditional? I started an Oughtred Arctic Tern (18' double ender) last summer. Got the planking done before it turned cold. On hold for now, but plenty of other projects.

Good Luck.

Gazzer, I'm going to be going with the glued lapstrake because it is my first boat and materials are cheaper. I might have to tap into your boat building knowledge if I run into any walls when I start this project.It is a project for me and my 13 yr old son.It should be fun and challenging.

gazzer

Gazzer
Corporate Member
Gazzer, I'm going to be going with the glued lapstrake because it is my first boat and materials are cheaper. I might have to tap into your boat building knowledge if I run into any walls when I start this project.It is a project for me and my 13 yr old son.It should be fun and challenging.

Eric, I'd be glad to give you whatever insights (always learned through screwing up and then correcting) I have. Be sure to check out the woodenboat forum at:

http://www.woodenboat.com/forum/index.php

Good luck

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice score on the vise! If you are building something similar to a Whitehall it should be a pretty boat. I'll be looking forward to seeing project pics on that one for sure!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Nice vise, Eric. I had the boat bug a while back and did a pirogue and a "lap-stitch" tender very similar to an Eastport Pram. I love those lapstrake lines. Another more traditional lapstrake is on my "someday" list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS