I made the news

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well I got my name in print any way. Not what you call "fine woodworking" but the work is being done for the right reasons. Two Monday's a month we gather (12 to 17 of us) and assemble blue bird houses. Since the parts are all pre-cut we can make roughly a 1,000 in a single 3.5 hour session. My job is normally QA including repairs and loading pallets.

http://vancnews.com/articles/2011/11/30/warrenton/news/news58.txt

Glennbear

Glenn
A very noble enterprise Scott :eusa_clap Congratulations, in our area your efforts are quite visible. When I lived in the northeast I never saw bluebirds but they are regular visitors to my property now. :wsmile:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
We should have another session on Monday the 5th. I will get dimensions. BTW most of the houses are built out of 5/4 pine. There is a mill in Louisburg, NC (Toney Lumber) that makes pine stair treads. The houses are cut form their 2nds.

bwat

New User
Bill
Wow, I really am working too hard. I didn't even know I attended but I made the paper:gar-Bi.
Seriously though, thanks for your volunteer efforts!

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Congratulations Scott!!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap

What a great cause and an admirable contribution.

Sounds like fun too!!:eusa_danc

Bryan S

Bryan
Way cool Scott, the misses loves here Bluebirds. We have one in the corner of the drive that we get 2 to 3 nest a year from. It is funny to watch them, the mom and dad will be sitting on a pedestal that Kathy puts meal worms on waiting for their morning meal. After the first brood fly's out it is common to see all 4 or 5 sitting on that pedestal waiting for the worms to appear.

Do they place their houses mostly local, or how far do they go with them?

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Congrats, Scott! That is a worthy cause that has definitely produced results.

We have many more bluebirds on our property than we did 18 years ago.:icon_cheers

Keep up the great work.:thumbs_up

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Do they place their houses mostly local, or how far do they go with them?

Actually they are sold for cost. SECU sells them as do other organizations. From what I know, not a lot, they are sold for $10.00 which is the cost to make them.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Congrats, Scott! That is a worthy cause that has definitely produced results.

We have many more bluebirds on our property than we did 18 years ago.:icon_cheers

Keep up the great work.:thumbs_up

Randy, Lemme know if you are free on Monday's and would like to go help. This goes for any one else. We normally work 8:00 to 11:30 and then go to lunch as a group. Frank buys.

Actually they are sold for cost. SECU sells them as do other organizations. From what I know, not a lot, they are sold for $10.00 which is the cost to make them.

That is why I was so surprised they did not have the plans on there website seems like the perfect opportunity lots of other groups to get involved in the project

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Scott, I would love to help but am currently still employed (thank God). If that changes, I will definitely help out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS