I give you my heart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
We received a request for a custom project from the sister of one of Clay's co-workers.
Here's the original thread for background - http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?p=69506#post69506

I decided to take on the project as it wasn't something I had ever done, I had the stock, and I've have those shop elves and a robot that helps me to get things done quickly :lol: :lol:

I started out with a blank of Walnut 3" thick and a little over 5 x 5" square, cut out the basic heart shape.

Walnut_heart_012.jpg

And then took to it with an angle grinder with a 60 grit flap sander disk. And a ROS with 80 grit to get the basic shape. I devised a jig to hold the piece in place and allow me access to all edges of it.

Walnut_heart_010.jpg

The jig evolved along with the piece :-D I had planned to weight it by placing weight in holes bored in the bottom, so I was able to anchor it with screws while shaping.
I added seven ½" lead fishing weights to the bottom secured with epoxy and plugged the holes with sections of dowels. That brought the weight to just over ¾ lbs. The bottom was finally covered in green self-adhesive felt to hide all.
After power shaping, I took chisels and carving tools to refine the shape and finally hand sanded through MM 3200. The final size is just under 2" tall, and my shop is covered in Walnut dust :lol: :lol:
The finish is two coats of spray shellac for a little color, and 5 coats of gloss spray lacquer, with a little paste wax to finish it all off.
I decided to skip the grain filler due to time constrains. I think that it would have looked better with the grain filled, but I had a deadline of shipping tomorrow morning.
Here's the final results:

Copy_of_Walnut_heart_009.jpg

Copy_of_Walnut_heart_002.jpg

I really hope that she likes it, and is proud to give it to her friend (who BTW has a thing for Walnut and has Walnut flooring throughout her house, cut and milled by her father 8-O 8-O )

Dave:)

Last edited:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave that is beautiful! How long did it take you to make?

Thanks! About three hours on Saturday, and finishing between pen turning today - about a total of 2 hours with another 5-6 of dry time.

J

jeff...

I still want to know when your going to get a table at one of the wood working shows

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Thanks, Dave! I will now be getting a new sander, and a new grinder with sanding flap-wheel thingy! (and making one of those out of purple heart) :eusa_danc

T

toolferone

Nicely done Dave. Up I would guess the sawdust was flying!! Would love to hear feed back from the customer if you get any.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidF

New User
David
That works Dave! Nice job. I was on standby over the w/e in case the call for grain filler went out:lol: Looks fine without it though.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Would love to hear feed back from the customer if you get any.

Tom, I e-mailed her the pictures that I posted here, and her reply was that it looked better than she expected. It is actually nicer in person, the camera washed out the color a bit and it's a smooth as a baby's butt.
Hopefully she will have in person tomorrow, it's only a one day ship time with UPS ground to SC.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Excellent work.............as always, Dave!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

You have just about mastered power carving with that piece! (grinder, sander and all!)

Somebody is going to reallyenjoy Valentines Day!!!:eusa_danc :eusa_danc :eusa_danc

Wayne

dtomasch

New User
David
Dave,
Amazing as usual. You must have a kind heart to whip that up for a stranger under pressure. "Nothin left to do but smile smile smile" J.G.?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Dave,
Amazing as usual. You must have a kind heart to whip that up for a stranger under pressure. "Nothin left to do but smile smile smile" J.G.?

"Ooh, nothing's gonna bring him back"...actually Robert Hunter :-D :-D
It's nice to have a purpose to make dust on the weekends other than that I really enjoy it.

dtomasch

New User
David
Yeah, Hunter/Garcia. Can't have one without the other!! Good to know another head is makin fine dust! Rat Dog is here in Asheville Mar 23rd. Pretty fun, but not quite the same, interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS