I found it

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
after signing in. Thought I checked-------remember me-----------oh well!!!

Purpose of the post is to locate a good fresh air mask. Does anyone on the sight use one?

I know they are expensive but I must do something to continue doing woodworking.

Thanks in advance, Jerry

RayH

New User
Ray
Jerry,

Good luck on your search. If you find something please post it here. I, too, need something like that. The only effective ones I have found resemble biohazard hoods, and are not practical for me and woodworking. The Trend Air Shield is good, but does not catch all the "fines" created by power tools.

Thanks,
Ray

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Ray,

There was a vendor at the Hickory show last fall that had some full face masks/shields but I do not remember the brand. Maybe someone from Klingspore or another advertiser will chime in with some information.

I could do a lot with dust collection in the shop itself to reduce the amount of dust in the enviroment but I think I would rather invest in the fresh air mask. You can spend a fortune on dust collection etc. and still need the mask.

Jerry

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
While researching this in the past, I found that 3M has several models. Some of them are more expensive than Trend but seem to do a better job of filtering the air. Some provide a clean air stream blown across the face to help reduce dust around the nose and fogging of the shield.
Look at the Airstream and Versaflow. I particularly liked the Airstream at the time but since then they have produced the Versaflow which is supposed to be lighter. I have no first hand experience with either.
Good luck with your decision,

RayH

New User
Ray
I have the Trend Air Shield Pro. While it is very helpful, it is NOT a respirator. The documentation makes a point of this and labels it a powered ventilated face shield. This is apparently a regulatory thing as their UK site calls it a respirator while the US site notes is is "not NIOSH approved". After using it for a couple of hours doing anything dusty, I have a couple of days of lung congestion. Note that I have COPD and as a result have super sensitive lungs. It is a fairly good filtering system, but it is not "fresh air."

Hope this is helpful.

Ray

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I have the Trend Air Shield Pro. While it is very helpful, it is NOT a respirator. The documentation makes a point of this and labels it a powered ventilated face shield. This is apparently a regulatory thing as their UK site calls it a respirator while the US site notes is is "not NIOSH approved". After using it for a couple of hours doing anything dusty, I have a couple of days of lung congestion. Note that I have COPD and as a result have super sensitive lungs. It is a fairly good filtering system, but it is not "fresh air."

Hope this is helpful.

Ray

That is helpful Ray. There is so much out there on the market it is baffling. I was browsing this morning and came across a 3m product at respirated.com that read good. It was designed for asbestos and lead dust so it seals against your face----it does not circulate fresh air though. It had duel replaceable cartridges. It was a full face shield with 200 degree vivibility. Cost was less than 150.00 on Amazon.

I also saw half face respirators but I wonder how they would work with a seperate full face shield on top of that. The computer is great for browsing and reviews but nothing beats seeing the physical product in person.

Jerry

Last edited:

GeorgeM

New User
George
The airstrem helmet system is outstanding but costly. I had to have major sinus surgery due to allergies from wood and had to go this route in order to continue turning and doing woodworking.

It is worth every penny it costs.

Have a Blessed day.
George

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
The airstrem helmet system is outstanding but costly. I had to have major sinus surgery due to allergies from wood and had to go this route in order to continue turning and doing woodworking.

It is worth every penny it costs.

Have a Blessed day.
George

Thanks George, Were you able to see the unit before buying ? How long have you been using it and how expensive is the upkeep on it?

Jerry

I guess you are looking for a forced air mask but here is the regular mask I bought and I like it TOTOBOBO
http://totobobo.com/blog/scrollsaw-workshop/.

and I bought it from this person
http://www.totoboboartistmask.com/

DUST BE GONE MASK
and if you scroll this page you will find a review by the same person of this one
http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2010/04/dust-bee-gone-mask-initial-review.html

since you cannot have too many masks...

also the Totobobo has a paper templete diagram that you can print out and trim to get the mask to fit your face before you trim your real one...

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Warning about the TOTOBOBO. It does not work with facial hair. Also they recommend replacing the filters ever couple weeks. Done every two weeks will cost about $60.00 a year.

Warning about the TOTOBOBO. It does not work with facial hair. Also they recommend replacing the filters ever couple weeks. Done every two weeks will cost about $60.00 a year.[/QUOTE

yea I understand that but $60.00 a year is still a good deal for the level of protection... I have not found the need to change the filters that often.... I would like to try the dust bee gone mask but even at that a good mask is one you will wear and mine is comfortable with a little trimming per their paper guide... and I do think Steven did a fair review of the mask http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/09/totobobo-dust-mask-quick-review.html

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Warning about the TOTOBOBO. It does not work with facial hair. Also they recommend replacing the filters ever couple weeks. Done every two weeks will cost about $60.00 a year.[/QUOTE

yea I understand that but $60.00 a year is still a good deal for the level of protection... I have not found the need to change the filters that often.... I would like to try the dust bee gone mask but even at that a good mask is one you will wear and mine is comfortable with a little trimming per their paper guide... and I do think Steven did a fair review of the mask http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2011/09/totobobo-dust-mask-quick-review.html

I agree that $60 a year is VERY reasonable for good protection. I have read a few other boards where folks were VERY upset to learn that the TOTOBOBO does not work with facial hair, a fact not mentioned on their web site, and they do not take returns. Some folks also failed, their own fault, to note that the seller recommends the filters be replaced every two weeks so the price was higher then they thought.

GeorgeM

New User
George
Jerry,

I have been using my airstream for almost 6 years now and it still works as good today as when it was new. I have replaced the seal 1 time but that is the only thing. I do think my battery is getting weak as it does not hold a charge like it did.

When I bought mine which is the Helmet version was $650.00 for the complete system with P100 filtration.

If I had to buy a new one today I would buy the same system no matter what it cost.

Have a Blessed day.
George

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I agree that $60 a year is VERY reasonable for good protection. I have read a few other boards where folks were VERY upset to learn that the TOTOBOBO does not work with facial hair, a fact not mentioned on their web site, and they do not take returns. Some folks also failed, their own fault, to note that the seller recommends the filters be replaced every two weeks so the price was higher then they thought.

Years ago when I was doing refractory repair work , we had one place the fitted and tested respitators. Also, you could not have a beard and work there because the respirators would not seal. So the facial hair thing would apply to a lot of respirators. A point we all need to remember when we think we are protected.

Jerry

RayH

New User
Ray
George,

Thanks for all the info. Does the Airstream require filter replacement? If so, how often and how expensive?

It sure sounds like a good answer to my problem.

Ray

GeorgeM

New User
George
Ray H,

First off I am not an expert on these or this subject! I am just a wood turner/wood worker that had to find a way to continue doing what he enjoyed doing and found out what I thought was the best answer to MY problems. As I stated if I had to do it again I would buy the same system.

I bought mine from these people: http://www.airwareamerica.com/3mhepaas400airstreamsystem.aspx. I have also bought any parts I need from them.

There is a pre filter that sells for about $5.00, a HEPA finlter that sells for $35.00, face shield seal $6.00, head seal $60.00, temple seals $5.00.

These are the items that wear out. I went through a couple of face shield and temple seals a year and the pre filters I blew out with compressed are and reused them longer than I should probably. The HEPA filter which is the heart of the system for catching the harmful items I changed a couple of times a year and would also blow it off with compressed air regularly. I am sure I should have change it more often but it does the job so I skate a little on it.

Keeping your lungs and sinus protected is costly IF done properly. A good dust collection system, quality air filters and the AS 400 all work together for a safe enviroment to work in.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Have a Blessed day.
George

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
1. Having worked before with part of my duties as a respirator fit tester and certifier, I would add a some comments.

2. For dust filters there is usually no set shelf life, so they can be used until you notice a restriction. However, if your mask does not fit correctly, there will be leaks so you won't notice restrictions but will notice dust around your nose/mouth when you take it off. If the dust is on the bridge of your nose, the mask is usually too large. If around the nostrils, usually the mask is too small or the straps not adjusted correctly.

3. Organic vapor filters (have activated charcoal as the main active ingredient) start to degrade as soon as the package seal is opened. This is mainly due to humidity in the air and other contaminants starting to load up the charcoal. When I was working in the aircraft industry, we were required to keep the mask and filters in a sealed plastic bag when not in use, and to change filters at least weekly, whether or not the mask had been used. Some manufacturers give up to 1 month.

4. If you have or think you have any lung impairment at all, and are planning to buy a negative pressure regulator (any one that restricts the air flow), please have your doctor give you a pulmonary function test first, and okay you for using one. Its foolish to worry about lung problems from what you breathe if the safety device triggers a heart attack or lung problems itself.

5. If the doc doesn't clear you for a negative pressure regulator, then you will need one that forces air into the mask or blows it into a face covering hood. (The one that GeorgeM referenced is in this category) These are called free-flow or positive pressure respirators. Some are a sealed face mask that have a fan motor and filter that attaches to your belt, and can be used to protect against dust and paint fumes. Others take fresh air from outside the work area and blow it through a hose that connects to the hood. There are also face shield protectors that are stuck on the outside of the face plate and are just peeled off and replaced when they get scratched or paint overspray build-up. A lot cheaper than replacing the masks which are expensive.

6. Under no circumstance use your air compressor to supply breathing air. The hazards are carbon monoxide poisoning, as well as microscopic oil particles that will fill your lungs causing lymphatic pneumonia (which cannot be cured because they have no way to remove the oil from your lungs.) A regular oil/water separator will not remove them.

Kudoes to those of you who are protecting yourselves.

Go

RayH

New User
Ray
Ray H,

I hope this answers all your questions.

George

George,

It sure does, and thank you very much for doing so. I believe our conditions are similar in that we face the choice of spending the money for a solution or giving up woodworking. It is not always an easy decision considering the costs that can be involved.

Sincere thanks,
:notworthy:
Ray

GeorgeM

New User
George
Ray,

It has been worth it for me as I truly enjoy "playing" in the shop.

Have a Blessed day and good luck on your decision.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS