I did it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
After many sleepless nights since Woodguy's pen turning class, and waking up thinking about how I will make my next pen, I ordered a lathe.

Klingspor is having Delta Days on Dec 3rd. 10% off Delta tools, so I ordered one. Delta also has a $50 mail in rebate on their midi lathe. So I'll get it for $219 + tax. They had the lathe in the store, even tagged it as sold to me. But dang, if I could talk them into letting me take it home today... Just wasn't gonna happen. Oh well... I'll have to pretend to turn for another 2 weeks.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Just couldn't wait, could you :?:

Apparently attending one class with WG or even visiting his shop has an awesome impact :lol: You've contacted the much feared "Woodguy Disease".

So congratulations are in order :icon_thum and it's ok to start buying the chisels and gouges now.

Sapwood

woodguy1975

New User
John
:rolf: "Woodguy Disease" I had to change my signature. :D

Love it. What a perfect response.

Brandon comes to the class/shop and orders a large amount of pen turning kits and materials.

Clay comes to the class/shop, buys a lathe and dreams of this next pen.

Cathy was already turning pens and is turning more, but.... Maybe her immune system was stronger then the other two. LOL.

Take a big dose of vitamin C before coming my way. Evidentially I'm contageous.

Congrats Clay. You'll love that little Delta.

John

Last edited:

cskipper

Cathy
I'm so proud of you - I knew you couldn't hold out for long!!:lol: The Woodguy Disease is highly contagious - fortunately I had already been turning pens before I took the class. (Boy, it was difficult to find a way to phrase that to not sound indecent!) Anyway, did you go ahead and buy all the necessary chucks etc...?(the seriously hidden cost of turning) I can't wait to see pictures of your first "solo" pens. It's so much fun!

Big Mike

New User
Mike
That is a pretty sweet little machine. You may be surprised at what you can turn on there besides pens.... Congrats!!! Enjoy!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You did it, you really did it. Now you will pay for it:lol: Getting the lathe is only a very small part of the financial downward spiral you have just embarked on. I was given a lathe (free) and ended up spending at least $300 just to start turning8-O It even came with a chuck, which is one of the more expensive things that you "must" have. But I have to say that it is all worth it, there is nothing like the almost imeadiate gratification you get from turning, and often the wood is free:icon_thum I can't wait to see your new lathe in action and some of the fine turnings that will come off of it. Congratulations on your soon to be new tool, you got any cigars?:lol:

Dave:)

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I have already received some of the packard tools. I have on order a barrel trimmer, mandrel, some blanks, a pen press, and of course, pen kits. Let's turn! ( In 2 weeks )

woodguy1975

New User
John
Hahahahahahaha another carrier of the disease. We are going to spread it all throughout NCWoodworker.:jealous::jealous::jealous::jealous:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I am infected. I don't know the cure. I guess I'll go buy a tool and see if I feel better.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Yeap, you'll want a drill chuck, which you can share with your DP if you have MT2 DP, and a lathe chuck. The new Vicmar clone from Grizzly actually looks pretty good.

Once infected it is terminal. No cure exists. You'll just have to live with a full shop and empty wallet now. :jealous::jealous:

sapwood

New User
Roger
woodguy1975 said:
"Woodguy Disease" I had to change my signature. :-D

John

WG, you need to change it again. ;-)
Your "penmanship" is excellent, but work on spelling. It's contagious. 'Course the Brits, might spell it that way :mrgreen:

Sapwood

woodguy1975

New User
John
I couldn't spell my way out of a wet paper bag. :)

sapwood said:
WG, you need to change it again. ;-)
Your "penmanship" is excellent, but work on spelling. It's contagious. 'Course the Brits, might spell it that way :mrgreen:

Sapwood

DavidF

New User
David
Do I detect a spot of humour (commonwealth English), or maybe it's Humor (American English) I spotted, either way I spell it your way. I wouldn't get near any other spelling with a 12' Aluminium (English) pole!:slap:

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
I think that buying stuff is only treating the symptoms, I'm not sure of the cure...

cskipper

Cathy
Everyone will have their favorite. Ask folks what they use and how they like it. Shop around. You need a lathe chuck and a drill chuck would be good. The bigger investment of the two is the lathe chuck. Mine is a Nova Midi and for the limited things I'm doing it's fine. The salesman said that I will be able to use it on other lathes as I upgrade. The other folks can undoubtedly guide you more about how to pick one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS