I built a router table

Status
Not open for further replies.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Hey guys, I bought a new router last week because I needed more power and variable speed.

Got home with it and figured out that my little Ryobi router table was not going to cut it.

So, I built myself a new one.

It's not done yet, I still need to build the fence and finish a few odd things.

It's just 2x4's.

It's not as elaborate or nice as some of the ones I have seen but for my use it will work just fine.

I made it the same height as my table saw so I can use it as a catch table. :D

Attachments

• 13920410_1070958116326380_5684743609907603390_o.jpg
    13920410_1070958116326380_5684743609907603390_o.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 129

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
That looks alot lke my first one! I used it for many years too. Im sure it will serve you well. Oh, for what its worth, I never developed or bought an elaborate fence for mine, just clamped jointed boards to the table top. Again, I used them for many years too. Good luck with it!.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Good job but particle board is not a good material to build jigs or shop appliances out of. It is not a durable surface, very susceptible to moisture so therefore it won't stay flat.

You could soak it down with loads of boiled linseed oil, but I recommend laminating the top and bottom and edges. You can seal the groove, or better yet, install a miter slot runner.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Good job but particle board is not a good material to build jigs or shop appliances out of. It is not a durable surface, very susceptible to moisture so therefore it won't stay flat.

You could soak it down with loads of boiled linseed oil, but I recommend laminating the top and bottom and edges. You can seal the groove, or better yet, install a miter slot runner.

It is laminated MDF. I think most of the less expensive router tops I have seen are made of the same material.

I am no expert here, I'm sure the core will soak up some moisture but I don't think the Melamine is going to soak up much moisture.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

I hope it works out. :D

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
The reason for my pic, and I didn't explain, was that my table was also countertop (laminated particle board). You can see the protective band around the soft edges for protection. Those edges and bottom had 3-4 coats of paint before the banding was added. That table was early 80's and may have been painted with untinted heavy base. Can't remember now, but I use that a lot for casual projects.

Also, note the scrap plywood fence. Glued up and run through a jointer for flatness. Based on my finishing habits, the fence had a first coat of shellac and 3-4 coats of wipe-on poly with light sanding between coats.

You should get many years use from your table.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
I cut some oak trim and worked on the fence today.

Turned out okay.

I still need to make my adjustment slots.

Attachments

• 20160801_182214.jpg
    20160801_182214.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 97
  • 20160801_182156.jpg
    20160801_182156.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 95

JimD

Jim
Senior User
You might want to think about stiffening ribs underneath to help it stay flat. Looks great. I've built at least 4 router tables. I think they are good projects because they are useful even if you get some other ideas and want to make an improved model. My current one is styled after Norms on new yankee workshop and has a built in screw adjustable height.

macr0w

New User
macr0w
You might want to think about stiffening ribs underneath to help it stay flat.

I have 4 joists between the side rails.

2 in the center around the router and 2 half way back to the edge.

Then, obviously the side rails.

The 3/4 plywood under the melamine is screwed down tight.

I predrilled and counter sunk all the screws. :)

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Looks good and solid... glad you went with a open design on the bottom where the router sits. My first router table was actually a router cabinet and my son burnt up (melted the plastic housing) on a perfectly good router runnibg it for an extended period of time with the door closed. He said what's that burning plastic smell? well it's the router - duh... by then it was way too late :(

macr0w

New User
macr0w
Well, I messed up my measurements for my fence adjustment slots.

I wanted to have 4 slots total, 2 on each side of the router evenly spaced between my braces in the fence.

It turns out that right where I thought I was putting my outside slots is right where the legs are.

I am going to think about it for a few days and see what I can come up with.

I could easily move them in a few inches but I don't really want to.

I haven't cut them yet so I have time to think. :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS