HURRICANE EARL UPDATE!! Chat Contest!

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I'd like to share with you one of two of the thrilling, earth shattering and potentially game changing announcements we made in last nights Welcome New Member Chat!

[BANANA]The "Chat Contest!"[/BANANA]

This weeks contest is "Guess the number of segments in an Earl Rasmussen turning"!

You can submit your best guess in the following form: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/misc.php?do=form&fid=43

At the next chat, on Thursday Sept. 2nd, we'll announce the winner!

Good luck!

Jim

(Don't forget about the FABULOUS PRIZES!!!)

Last edited:

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: New Member Chat: Chat Contest!

Earl, I think it'd be a tad bit unfair to the others who enter.

That said, if you don't know the exact numbers, we are all in a bit of trouble :p

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Re: New Member Chat: Chat Contest!

This warning was just released by the North Carolina Woodworker Weather Center!!!

earlbowl.jpg

View image in gallery

I think its clear that Earl is at the heart of this.

Get your most up to date coverage on this impending storm in the Chat Thursday night and enter the Contest!!!

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Its with great pleasure that I announce the winner of our First ever Chat Contest!

Our closest, most recent guess went to [PIE]buildintechie with 842[/PIE]

The actual count is 553 segments and 384 spaces for a grand total of 937!

Thanks to all who entered!

The Fabulous Prize? Why its a genuine authentic NCWW bumper sticker!

Watch for our next contest coming soon............

Jim

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
I hate to nit-pick a friendly contest, but for the future, if we intend to count empty space as 'segments' then I feel we should clearly state such. This might be common sense for a segmented turner (I can't say since I haven't been bitten yet), but certainly was not to this non-turner. :eusa_thin

My guess, and I'm chancing a good many others, were based upon the number of wooden segments in the piece. It's like the segments of a chain, you count the links, not the hollow void within each link.

I only bring this up because I feel such contests can be a source of great fun and enjoyment, but only when everyone feels they are playing by the same set of rules.

May I suggest that in the future we more clearly define 'segment' as the sum of all individual geometric shapes, both of solid wood and negative, or open air, spaces. If I missed this (or similar) definition in the contest page, then I apologize for my oversight and any inconvenience this post may cause.

Happy counting!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
No need to apologize, if it wasn't clear, then it wasn't clear :)

I'll do a better job of clarifying this in future contests.

Here were the "rules" that were on the guessing form.

Now, to make it easier, you only have to guess the total number of segments in the following vase:

<pic of the vase>

On second thought, you also need to guess the number of spaces too!

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS