Huge Burl Tree, Advice for cutting a 44" diameter trunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Hello NCWW's,

I was heading to get me some Chinese instead of eating at home and the HUGE BURL tree that I pass by wasn't there. I turned around and parked where it stands and there it was on the ground. I saw a guy on a ATV and waved.
Walked up to him and asked if that was his tree, he said what is left of it. I said are you planning on burning it??? :kamahlitu :eusa_doh: :eek: He Said yeah, "WHY" YOU WANT IT? I said Yeah. :icon_thum He said OK just take the whole thing though~!:swoon: :banana:

SWEET I'm picking it up Friday morning.

Question: So Should I leave it in HUGE BURL LOG form and anchor seal the ends for a few months or cut it up as soon as possible for bowl blanks, pen blanks, and short lumber??? :eusa_thin

Thanks for looking, and commenting~!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
The Burl is 45" tall and 44" in diameter~!

It's to hard to roll, I can rock it a little, but I would need 8 guys or so just to rool it in my truck.

My Chainsaw only has an 18" bar....Gonna go borrow a big boy, or rent one. Has BEAUTIFUL BURL with pink/reds around the center.

Ahhh What did I get myself into???

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Re: Huge Burl Tree, Best advice?

Matt -

Nice get!

Let me first make 2 qualifications - a) my mill is a small portable and I do not profess to any more than enough knowledge of sawyering to make me dangerous and b) I am not an avid woodturner, so I don't really know much about turning stock - except that what I've seen/bought was sealed with a wax...

I think conventional wisdom is to saw logs as soon as possible after it is felled, and then seal the ends, stack w/stickers and allow to dry - at least for lumber that will be for "conventional" use. Turning blanks may be a different story - perhaps some initial drying and then sealing completely with wax for longer term storage ?

Anyway - I think the answer to your question is to saw as soon as possible. Watch for tramp iron/steel :confused_!!! Something wounded that tree to cause it to burl like that...

Love to see some pictures once you get it cut. :icon_thum

C.

BSHuff

New User
Brian
From the pictures it looks like it was close (or part) of a wire fence/near gate. I would check several times while cutting for metal. You could end up killing blades or hurting yourself/others when trying to cut it. Just be careful

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Brian,

Nope no wires in it. It was already felled yesterday. Had to rent a 24" saw...Man that thing sucked...First cut was great~! Then is just sucked. The bar was not getting oil, it was clogged or something. Then the blade would be supper loose, so I would tighten it and two minutes later it would move. I finally had it quite loose, and left it running because it took 15 time to get it running. And within 5 minutes of idle the chain tightened up. Cut a log and the chain is loose???

Anyway The tree was dead for a few years it lloks like, just slightly growing small branches here and there. Had a bird living inside and mushrooms growing inside??? Yikes me think. Here are th pic's... Sure wish it was solid.

And rotted and punky in the middle, Ah Dang it.

the other side

Mushrooms and other Fungi... Yikes Me think??? What say YOU? I sure don't want to die breathing this stuff in.

Ah one nice looking BURL

Thanks for looking~! And Commenting~!

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Re: Huge Burl Tree, Best advice?

Matt -

Anyway - I think the answer to your question is to saw as soon as possible. Watch for tramp iron/steel :confused_!!! Something wounded that tree to cause it to burl like that...

Love to see some pictures once you get it cut. :icon_thum

C.

Chris,

I could see that anything damaged it. Nothing inside, no metal, nothing.

Plus I think there's SOMETHING IN THE WATER HERE~! :tinysmile_tongue_t: I mean these trees are EVERYWHERE~! :swoon: :eek: :wconfused: It makes you go crazy when you see them down every street. And people just want to BURN it??? :kamahlitu :eusa_doh: :BangHead: ... So Glad I got to it in time, but wish I got it a year or two earlier as I wish the middle was more solid.

Thanks for looking~!

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Matt -

Sorry to see it is in such poor shape inside! Looks like there is some nice spalting through. Hope you are able to salvage some turning blanks or maybe some box material.

Best,
C.

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
That wood is no good, and the mold might be bad for your health.
Just put it in a box and send it to me and I will take care of it for you.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
That wood is no good, and the mold might be bad for your health.
Just put it in a box and send it to me and I will take care of it for you.

Earl,

You are funny~! :rotflm: You don't even turn green wood~! This BURL sure does make you want to turn it though~! :gar-Bi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS