How would you hang this?

Jak3

New User
Jacob
Hi, was just thinking of some future projects and I figured I would ask the more experienced about this. I am thinking of making some shaker candle sconces but I am not sure how I would hang them on the wall if I made them. I understand of course that the Shakers would hang things on a pegboard on the wall but I don't have one and don't particularly want one in my room. The only experience I have with hanging things is the french cleat and the problem with that is hiding it and incorporating it into the design. Your thoughts?

qCfOxVV.jpg

Also I have been looking at the plans for this little wall cabinet in a book I bought a while back and while it is a cheap book it has some quaint little projects that I like. I don't particularly need the plans I just wanted to go off their dimensions and make small design differences, but I am struck as to how it is hung on the wall. It is flat against the wall and the plans make no mention of how to hang it. Nor does it seem like there is some kind of hidden french cleat or something. How would you hang this piece?

zPvdJOO.jpg

gdJhRVA.jpg

cobraguy

Clay
Corporate Member
I made a medicine cabinet very similar to the cupboard piece over 25 years ago. I just find a stud and screw through the back into the stud in two places. If you place the screws near the interior shelves, whatever is on the shelves helps hide them. Choosing an attractive screw also helps. There are three sets of holes in the back after moving a few times and needing to adjust slightly to place it on a wall over a stud, but it still works great. Medicine doesn't weigh much though. Depending on what you use the cupboard for, YRMV.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
Provided your load is balanced a simple nail through the top hole should suffice very nicely (or a screw if you prefer).

But if you need more security against imbalanced loads or do not want the hanging mechanism to be visible I often use keyholes (though I frequently cheat and buy the metal keyhole inserts, then just use a router or chisel to make the mortise under the keyhole insert that accommodates the screw).

For things that need to be extra secure against people bumping into them I would use two keyholes, one up top and one down low as that prevents lifting forces from affecting the load while also preventing any rotation.

To simplify hanging items using keyholes, make a paper template by attaching the paper to the back of the item, then you can easily mark where the keyholes are, then poke holes in the corresponding areas and use those holes to drill into your wall.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
I would consider using a French cleat for hanging the cabinet. That would mean modifying the plan though.

Jerry

Jeff

New User
Jeff
With poor quality plans....

Here's one with a screw and copper washer...

A french cleat is good for the cabinet and cut nails into a wall stud would work for the sconces.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS