How would ya'll go about making this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
My sister asked if I could make this for my niece, Amelia. It's a simple project, painted again:roll: , but the compound angles and jointery are eluding me. It's 15" wide x 14.5" deep x 10.5" tall. I'll probably make it out of pine and have the LOML paint it, and stencil her name. What ya'll think, can it be done:BangHead: I could use some advice. Thanks, Dave:)
Ameliastepstoolexample.jpg

Last edited:

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
DaveO, i was looking at the pictures. it's a nice little project. the simplest way i can think of would be to cut the horizontals with bevels, cut the verticals with bevels on the bottom to allow it to sit flat on the floor and biscuit it together. biscuits are really strong and simple to install. a modern solution to an old problem, compound angle joinery. my 2 cents.

phillip

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks, Phillip, that was what I was thinking. I should be able to adjust my biscuit jointer to match the angle of the bevels. What would you think the bevel angle would be? It's wider at the base for stability, and my niece is only 2 years old.

Steve, thanks for pointing out that I forgot to post the pic. It's here now, what are your thoughts on the construction.
Thanks, Dave:)

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
I think i would try tests of 2 and 5 degrees. it probably won't be much. good luck, let us know how it turns out.

phillip

Monty

New User
Monty
It doesn't really look like a compound angle to me... unless I'm looking at it wrong. In other words, do you expect the stool to be wider in the front than in the back? It's hard for me to tell in the pic. If not, then just set the TS blade at 5* for the sides and lower step, and at 90* with the miter gauge at 5* to make the vertical support piece. Of course that's assuming you decide on a 5* angle.

Regarding support for the bottom step, what about gluing a cleat (I think that's the right term) under each side of the step for support? Simpler than biscuits, and you can keep long-grain:long-grain glue surfaces for better strength. If you look closely at the pic, I think that's how that stool is constructed.

That will make a very nice step for a child - the broad base looks very stable.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Insomniac, you are correct, the angles aren't compound, they looked complex to me at first. But since obtaining the advice of several members here, it now looks like a very simple project. I like your idea of cleats, it's for a kid and they can dish out some abuse. Thanks, Dave:)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OK, this is going to be this weekends project. Don't worry about the angles, I've got that figured out. My next questions are: Do you think that there is more to this piece that is seen in the pic. It shows 5 pieces, do you think that there is a back strecher, or will the 5 pieces provide enough support. And does Poplar carve well, I am thinking about handcarving my niece's name into it. Thanks for any thoughts on these new questions, Dave:)

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Dave, I think there is a back stretcher in the stool. If you look at the one with the name "Alex" on it there appears to be a stretcher visible through the hand hole. Most step stools of this design have a stretcher on the rear closer to the bottom. Of course, I could be seeing things....Wouldn't be the first time...:roll:

Monty

New User
Monty
Look through the handle hole in the "Alex" step - there appears to be another horizontal piece back there. I don't think it goes all the way up to the top or to the floor.

fsdogwood

New User
Pinwu
Think I saw Roy Underhill made one, what he made had no screws, no
nails, every piece come together using sliding dovetails.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wow, I think the vote is for a back piece. Do ya'll think it's needed or just in the pic. I think that the constuction would be sturdy enough without it, but what the heck do I know. Thanks for your help, I'd hate to see my niece come crashing to the floor. Plus my parents are buying the store bought version (sister wants one on each floor) and gave me the opportuntity to make one that would be more special...coming from Uncle Dave. Thanks, Dave:)

Jonz

New User
Chris Jones
If'n it was me, I'd over engineer anything to deal with kids.

I'd put a stretcher on the back, and as was said it does look like a cleat. I'd glue and screw through the cleat into the sides.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks for the advice, Check out my post titled "Finished step stool" and you will see that I have taken all the suggestions I've got and came up with something that will hold a 250# adult (me). I used the cleats and a back strecher, and am happy with the results, now if I can just finish it professionally, I'll have done good. Thanks for your comments. Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS