How to secure Miter Saw and Filler insert on workbench

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
So I almost done with my rolling workbench using the design by Gadgets and Grains. While the miter saw will sit on the bench most of the time, I am sure there will be occasions where I will want/need to remove the saw and insert the filler that will give me a flat surface. So my question is: How can I attach the saw so when I put it back in place, it is in the same spot every time? I am thinking about possibly adding a track and a fence on the right side so I can set up a stop block, etc. which is why I think I need to put in the same spot
Also a similar question for the filler insert, how to mount it in the same spot and keep it from moving.

I will post more pictures next week when I am back in town, but for now, this is the best I have. The plywood is 3/4".
  • The piece with the blue on the edge is secured to the workbench frame.
  • The piece with the green edge was originally supposed to be "permanently" secured to the saw but that just made it too heavy.
  • The piece with no marks on it is the top of the filler which is secured to a 2x4 frame which is meant to sit directly on the blue board.
For the Miter Saw: I am thinking about installing T-nuts in the green, then screwing it into the blue, and using thumbscrews to secure the saw. I could put the T-nuts in the blue board and drill slightly bigger holes in the green board so the thumbscrews will just pass through. The reason I would do this is so I could remove the green which would mean I would not need to cut down the 2x4 frame of the filler insert which was originally designed to sit directly on the blue board.

For the Filler Insert: I am thinking I would then insert 2 dowels or threaded rod into the bottom of the 2x4 frame of the insert. These would then slip into holes drilled into the green and blue boards. I am also thinking about cutting down the 2x4's by 3/4" so it will sit properly on the green and blue boards if they are mounted permanently.

I am sure I am overthinking this but would like to hear your thoughts. I will be out of town for a week so this gives me time to think it over...and over think it some more.

IMG_0257.JPG IMG_0256.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
My miter saw has holes in the feet. Saw bolts down so make your insert to match. Hanger bolts stay there so I would use wing nuts for convenience of removal. No wrenches needed. ;)

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS