How to remove chuck from drill press

Status
Not open for further replies.

b4man

New User
Barbara
I have an old Craftsman drill press given to me a few years ago.
I need to repair the chuck as it's not closing all the way on smaller bits.
I don't have the manual and can't figure out how it get it off.
Can someone help?

DavidF

New User
David
I have an old Craftsman drill press given to me a few years ago.
I need to repair the chuck as it's not closing all the way on smaller bits.
I don't have the manual and can't figure out how it get it off.
Can someone help?

Hi Barbara, can't be exactely sure on the Craftsman, but 90% of them have a morse taper to hold the chuck. Usually a sharp tap on the side will loosen it, or make a couple of wedges and drive in from either side if it's stuck firmly.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Actually, I read somewhere on the web about the wedges. I haven't tried that yet. Thanks for the tip. I knew I wouldn't try anything until I checked here first.

striker

New User
Stephen
How small a drill are you trying to grip? You get down to # 40 or so you may have to go a different style of chuck.

b4man

New User
Barbara
Stephen,

you asked a good question and I was remiss in not giving more detail. However, I just came in from removing the 5/8 Jacobs Chuck from the
15 1/2 drill press. The size bits it wasn't biting into were standard 1/4" bits. The half inch up was OK but not perfect.
I appreciate your response.

DavidF,
You rock! Thank you. It took several taps but it finally did come off. BTW, from what I've read, these arbors are fitted with either MT or threaded. Mine was both. After the tapping and the outer cover fell off I couldn't seem to budge the piece attached to the arbor. I Finally twisted it and sure enough it unscrewed. Now all I have to do is take it apart, realign the teeth (?) and hope I don't have to replace it at the tune of 93.00!

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Barbara, if you want to get a really nice chuck, check out the "Albrecht" style chucks. They are hand operated (no key required) and machinist quality. A 5/8" chuck is pretty good sized.

Scott

b4man

New User
Barbara
Well, got it apart and put it all back together after a good kerosene cleaning and white lithium greasing. The !@#$ thing still will not align properly. There is one jaw that drops an entire space on the split collar and I can't seem to make it stay put. I followed the 1 2 3 positions and believe I had the correct coordinating jaw.

I hate to fail:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

Scott, I love your suggestion on the keyless chuck but I don't think so!

Mike Davis, oh Mike, I was wondering if I should buy your lunch at the Moose café for a look see? If you don't think it can be fixed then maybe you'll share the location of a new less expensive chuck???
Did I mention I hate to f a i l???

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Barb, J&L industrial has some Albrecht clones for about 80 bucks... I think that Grizzly does too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS