How to Remove 4x4 post from bucket of concrete

ralitaco

Jim
Senior User
Rather than using dowels, use 1/2” rebar. Two per post will stop rotation and be cheaper than dowels.
excellent idea. I was also considering some sort of a lap joint, but regardless, I won't be doing anything for a while

JimD

Jim
Senior User
I like my HF hammer drill. It is a big one, draws about 10A. In the hammer only mode it would get those posts out quickly. It would also destroy at least part of the concrete and probably the buckets in the process.

ALtsMagent

New User
ALtsMagent
I've had the same problem because of a stupid mistake the last contractors I hired made. Thankfully, I found the guys from masonry Midland TX and they managed to solve the situation pretty easily. What they did was screw a portion of scrap 2×4 to the post a few inches from the ground, put landscape lumber alongside as a fulcrum, and use a lengthy metal bar as a lever. They just stood on the bar, and the post and concrete footing immediately popped right out of the ground. I was shocked by how easily they managed to solve the problem I was going crazy about for days.

Last edited:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
My experience with breaking cementitious materials out of buckets is vast, so I have to warn you that a sledgehammer to the bucket will cause the concrete to fracture and consequently expand placing more pressure on the bucket. You'll probably have to score the bucket and cut it out from around the concrete and then break it.
In the final analysis you've got to ask yourself 2 questions:
1. What is the most valuable component of the assembly, and
2. (Clint Eastwood voice on) Do you feel lucky? Well, do ya?????

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I think I'd try C-clamping a 2x4 to the post with three or four good C-clamps. Put a bumper screw jack between the concrete and the end of the 2x4 and crank away. A hydraulic jack would be better but its unlikely you've got that handy and a hydraulic jack may not get close in enough. Maybe another piece of 4x4 and clamp it well with 3/4" pipe clamps.

bainin

New User
bainin
Cut the post flush at the top of the concrete. then make 2 larger drill holes on either end of the wood (1" drill bit or some such) , and finally reconnect using a big 1" dowel.

b

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
I had a deck with some sag at one post. We got a jack and screwed a 2x to the post and jacked up against it. The post came up out of the concrete with no trouble. Maybe if you tried this it would work for you.

Roy G
I bet that was a soggy PT post that dried out. As from the Borg, they will shrink a HUGE amount.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS