How to move a solar kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivey

New User
Ivey
Scott, you taking this on , and doing it without a hitch does not suprise me a bit!:icon_thum
Nice score, and nice move. Great job....

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Nice move, Scott.
When I had the wherewithal to do such things, I would have loved to move something like that, but my move would have involved a few more steps:

1. Bleed water off the fuel tank on the backhoe because someone forgot to put the fuel can inside before the rain.

2. Boost off the backhoe because I ran down the battery trying to prime the injector pump.

3. Pump up the tire on the trailer after I loaded the backhoe (it seemed fine last month).

4. Stop by NAPA & get new bulbs for turn signals on trailer after DMV informed me they weren't working.

5. Return to BORG and get more bolts & longer braces because I underestimated the diagonal length of the kiln.

6. Go back to DMV & have permit date renewed because the move would go past sundown. (a big no-no if you don't do this).

7. Change tire on trailer that finally went flat with the building sitting on it at a major intersection (news cameras optional).

8. Replace neighbor's mail box where I got a little too close with the load.

9. Set up the crane a little too far away from the load & nearly tip it over unloading the kiln.

10. Put an inexperienced spotter on the ground that doesn't understand hand signals & end up with the crane's headache ball through the roof.

Most everyone here thinks this sort of thing is effortless, but most of the incidents above have happened to me at one time or another in one form or another over the years.

Just another day in paradise, ain't it?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Great score!!

You know where there is another one if you want it, same design and about the same size just a lot farther away! It may be a little more worn but I think it still there.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Nice move, Scott.

Most everyone here thinks this sort of thing is effortless, but most of the incidents above have happened to me at one time or another in one form or another over the years.

Just another day in paradise, ain't it?

Amen, Bro! I could tell a few stories about previous incidents, but I don't think that the statute of limitations has run out yet! :rotflm:

There were two "gotcha's", first, we had to borrow about 15 3/8" flat washers from the SAS folks, and the batteries ran dry on the drill/impact about 4 bolts before we were finished lag bolting onto the trailer deck. A hammer and spikes, coupled with a ratched, took care of that.

It was nice to grow up around, and being allowed to help people that "did things" in Texas; I thought of them often during this move.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Great score!!

You know where there is another one if you want it, same design and about the same size just a lot farther away! It may be a little more worn but I think it still there.

I'll have to follow up on that again. The last time that I spoke with him he did not seem ready to have it go away.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
That is a serious day's work, I was worn out just reading your post. Great score :icon_thum

bwat

New User
Bill
Ditto to above praises - great work and thanks for taking the time and effort to document the process for the rest of us. :icon_thum

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Like they say in Texas - "He needed kiln". :rotflm:

It says a lot about what kind of neighbors you have and what kind of neighbor you are when you can borrow a crane. :icon_thum

Very impressive; well thought out and executed. :eusa_clap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS