How to cut a "perfect" small square opening in center odf a smallish panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
OK, all you jig makers and setup guys. i need to cut a square opening in the center of a flat panel. The front plate is about 8 by 12 inches. I need to cut a square hole in the center that is about 4 x 4. I need to have a reproducible method of doing this so I can cut several. Inside corners need to be square.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
Do you need to save the panel that you remove, i.e. is it going to become a door, etc.? If the piece does not need to be salvaged, that makes the process much easier....

K

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I cut a large dog flap in a door using my Fein tool and a straight edge. Probably took 10 minutes.

Maybe a jg saw in a picture frame jig; or scroll saw it out.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Jig saw and straight edge to rough out.

If they need to be perfect, jigsaw and follow with router with a jig and square up corners by hand.

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I would build a perfectly square template for my router to follow. My jig saw lines are never straight enough. Use the smallest bit you can get away with (depending on the depth of the plunge cut. Clean the radius at the corners with a chisel by hand.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
No, I don't need the waste piece. Just neeed it t obe really square. I thought about using a router with a template and squaring the corners. Main concern is making several identical cuts.

sgtdave

New User
Dave
I know about jig saw cuts. Not only not stright enough but I also have a problem with the saw blad not cutting perfectly vertical. I get some vertical slant on the cut sides as well.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
A good setup and a slow, gentle hand will leave a vertical cut with a jigsaw. Clamp a straightedge/straight board to your workpiece for its base to follow for each of your 4 sides. Alternately, use a router and follow a straightedge/straight board for each side and use a jigsaw as above for the corners.

Endless Pursuit

New User
Jeff
Why not make the panel from 4 pieces, as in rails and stiles? Start with a solid piece that is 1/4" larger in both dimensions than you need for a final and make 4 cuts on a table saw then glue it up.

FlyingRon

Ron
Score one for the router. Years ago, I'd have never made a jig, just drill a hole and saw it out by hand. Last time I needed to do soemthing like this I spent the time to figure out how much to allow for my router collar and stuff and it still was faster than doing it by hand. If I did it with some regularity it would be way faster.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Router and jig is the most accurate and reproducible method. then a rasp or chisel to clean the corners.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
If the panel does not have to be one piece, you could cut rectangular notches midway in the center of 2 workpieces, then glue them together into a "bookmatched" panel with the 2 rectangular notches resulting in a square hole.

Failing that, I would go with the router, a bottom bearing 1/4" straight bit and a square hole pattern the correct size. Then clean up the corners with a sharp chisel. (as Mike and others suggests)

Grimmy2016

Administrator
Scott
Question in general.. not sure it will work.

What about usinga mortising machine to cut the hole out? Start in each corner and then work your way from side to side. Slowly plug it down first and align the edge to a clamped straight edge.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Thinking about this I would just make a frame to the size of the square I wanted to cut plus allowance for router template bushing and fasten the frame down with the masking tape / CA glue trick. Just make sure the frame is wide enough for the router base to ride on without tipping. Should be quick enough...

If your wanting good square corners then use a chisel or if you want to spend some money buy one of these things... No experience with the corner punch thing but looked somewhat interesting atleast until it requires its first sharpening maintain 90 degrees might be problematic -:(

http://www.micromark.com/RS/SR/Product/81652_R.jpg

http://www.micromark.com/5and16-inch-corner-punch,7805.html

Last edited:

Sawdustdave

New User
Dave
First.... What is the thickness of your panel?
Plunger router, with a box jig, would be my first choice. However, because the base of the router is quite large, I like to use a Dremel tool mounted on a router base for such smaller cuts.

Being a wooden ship modeler, I have several Dremel tools....some being quite powerful.
The corners can be squared up with a sharp file.
There is actually a square hole cutting bit that works well on some applications. Attaches to a drill press....plunges into the wood with chisel edges and has a drill bit down the center removing material.
Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS