How to bevel the edge of a circle?

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Good afternoon, all. My first post-holiday project is a lazy susan. Pretty straightforward, but there's one wrinkle - I want to bevel the edge inward toward the bottom of the disc, kind of a Reese's Cup shape. See side-profile picture attached. I cant quite come up with a safe and reasonable way to make that profile on a circle. I considered a table saw sled, but I don't think it will be safe enough. I don't have a band saw, so no go there.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Lazy.PNG
    Lazy.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 165

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Make two circles. One as a template and the other your stock. Use double-sided tape to attach them together. Set up a pattern chamfer bit in the router table and cut.
Pattern chamfer bit, excellent idea. I didn't realize they were available in a variety of angles. Looks like either 15 or 22.5 will work just fine. Much appreciated.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Yup beat me to the punch, I would also recommend setting up a mock up on a waste part so you got the feel of it.

Radial motion is a feel thing and keeping the motion steady and constant is key to a flawless result

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I was going to suggest a #5 plane to rough-in the angle and a #4 of spoke shave to finish... but, I guess if you have to carelessly murder electrons...:cool:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Yup beat me to the punch, I would also recommend setting up a mock up on a waste part so you got the feel of it.

Radial motion is a feel thing and keeping the motion steady and constant is key to a flawless result
Yeah, the plan is to mock it up for some practice. I may modify my circle cutting jig to work for this task, since I have to set it up to make the circle in the first place. My only real concern is tear out as I get to the end grain with the chamfer bit.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Energy cannot be destroyed only changed, Therefore, I choose to change those pesky electrons into a piece of fine woodwork ..... :D;)

I was going to suggest a #5 plane to rough-in the angle and a #4 of spoke shave to finish... but, I guess if you have to carelessly murder electrons...:cool:

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
Another lazy susan question since you guys have all the answers: I bought the attached large diameter lazy susan bearing a couple of years ago and now that I've gotten it out of storage it's gummy and slow to turn. Do you think it's salvageable for this project by greasing the bearings? With what product? I have white lithium grease, WD40, and maybe some graphite around the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_175843.jpg
    IMG_20191230_175843.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20191230_175620.jpg
    IMG_20191230_175620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 165

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Yep, it's salvageable - just need to thoroughly clean the bearings and race first. DNA would be my first choice if you have it.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
Denatured Alcohol, or acetone, butMY 1st choice would be lacquer thinner because ti degreases better, ...or .... you could immerse it in some MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), then wash with dawn, that would REALLY do the trick. f it is going to be in the house, then, I would use a food grade lubricant instead of lithum.

Yelverton

Mitch
Corporate Member
DNA -- Denatured alcohol. Because the circle is already cut, you could do the bevel on the table saw. Google circle cutting jig for table saw."
I saw some pretty impressive circle cutting jigs on youtube - some of them definitely seem safer than expected. Using one of those with a center pin shorter than the depth of the disc would also let me avoid having a hole in the top of the piece.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS