How often do you use the full capacity of your 8" dado stack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brogan

New User
I'm trying to decide between the 6" and 8" Oshlun dado stack for a Ridgid R4512.

I have a feeling the 8" may be a bit too much for the small 1HP motor on the Ridgid, but the flexibility of the 8" diameter may be nice to have.

But then I thought how often would you really need to cut a dado/rebate that deep?
I guess the only time you would really need it is if cutting tenons?

The maximum cut depth with a 10" blade is 3 1/4", so with an 8" blade it's going to be 2 1/4" and with a 6" blade 1 1/4".

Has anyone bought an 8" and wish they'd gone with the 6", and vice versa?

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
I have the Oshlun 8" stack and I've been very happy with it. For me it isn't about depth of cut as I've never cut a dado deeper than about 3/4 inch. It is about the teeth moving faster on an 8" stack than a 6" stack for a given rpm. In theory that should give a smoother cut. In practice I haven't compared. I'd have to buy 2 dado stacks to do that and who does that?

The Oshlun has more teeth than most stacks and will deliver a smoother cut, especially compared to stacks with crossed chippers like the old Craftsman sets.

Some say that the 8 inch needs more horsepower, but it hasn't been a problem on my Porter Cable table saw. YMMV.

Brogan

New User
Thanks Jim - I did read some comments regarding the speed and angle of cut being better with the 8".

Good point on the sled too - that will take away some of the depth so a 6" may end up being too small.

Good to hear that you're happy with the Oshlun - it looks like a nice bit of kit for the price.

I currently have it in my Amazon cart :D

Brogan

New User
So after a bit more investigation, it looks like the standard 10" blade can only raise 2 3/4" above the table surface if the riving knife lever is in the up position, which it needs to be when using a stacked dado blade.

If the blade is raised any higher it pushes the throat plate up.

So that would mean barely 3/4" of blade if using a 6" dado, so the 8" it is.

sawman101

Bruce Swanson
Corporate Member
A number of years ago, I had an 8" Craftsman direct drive table saw. Did a lot with that small saw, then bought a used 10" Delta direct Drive saw. Neither of those saws had very much power, but none the less, I had a B&D and a Craftsman 8" stacked dado sets. I never had a problem cutting dadoes with those sets. My Jet 10" Super Saw brought me up to speed about 8 years ago, but I still am amazed the nice cabinet work I accomplished on those entry level saws. :icon_cheers

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
I'm trying to decide between the 6" and 8" Oshlun dado stack for a Ridgid R4512.

I have a feeling the 8" may be a bit too much for the small 1HP motor on the Ridgid, but the flexibility of the 8" diameter may be nice to have.

But then I thought how often would you really need to cut a dado/rebate that deep?
I guess the only time you would really need it is if cutting tenons?

The maximum cut depth with a 10" blade is 3 1/4", so with an 8" blade it's going to be 2 1/4" and with a 6" blade 1 1/4".

Has anyone bought an 8" and wish they'd gone with the 6", and vice versa?
Its not the cutting depth that determines the HP requirements of a dado set. Its the mass of the fully stacked cutter set the machine will struggle with at startup. By comparison, an 8" dado set of comparable width has nearly 2x the weight as a 6" set. Also , the diameter has a great deal to do with HP ratings as well, it has to do with forces at the cutting tip. The further away from the center, the more force is required to cut. I would only use whatever Ridgid recommends for a stacked dado set (if any) on that machine.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Brogan;567333 the riving knife lever is in the up position said:
You can't use a riving knife with a dado set. It's a "blind cut" meaning it isn't all the way through, so there is no where for the riving knife to pass thru stock.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Most dados are in the 1/4 - 1/2" deep range. I can't think of a situation where a full depth dado cut would ever be necessary. If so, it would probably tax even a 3HP cabinet saw.

I recommend going with 8". There will be increased angular velocity and, more importantly, the attack angle of the teeth will be a more shearing type cut which means less tear out.

I would recommend checking reviews on this brand. There have been complaints about cleanness of cut and flatness of bottom.

FWIW, I have gotten very good use (and several sharpenings) out of my Freud SD200 set. Its not the best they make but it does quite well for me.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I use an 8" Freud stack dado on my Ridgid TS3650 (13 amp) with no problems. I have used it to maximum only a few times, but it does well. Depending on the wood, you may have to slow down the feed rate with a max depth and full width. It will bog down in hard woods like white oak. In those cases, I reduce the width of the stack and make multiple cuts to clear out most of the waste.

One time the increased depth capability is a plus is inserting a shelf corner into a diagonal dado cut through a 4 x 4 table leg. With the table leg at a 45 degree rotation when cutting, it usually is best done with a sled type jig. Even If you use a 1/2" thick base for the jig, the 8" stack will just barely reach to the diagonal corners of the leg.

Go

PS: I stated the amperage on the saw motor because it is probably the best determination of the actual power in the saw. Mine is rated "1 1/2 hp" and 13/6.5 A on the motor, but I think it is a very similar saw to what you have, just being a prior generation.

Brogan

New User
Thanks all.

On balance I think I'm going to go with the 8".

I suspect the 6" just won't have sufficient depth due to the maximum height the blade can be raised with the lever in the up position, not to mention if using it with a sled.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
Thanks all.

On balance I think I'm going to go with the 8".

I suspect the 6" just won't have sufficient depth due to the maximum height the blade can be raised with the lever in the up position, not to mention if using it with a sled.
FRom the Ridgid user manual:
"An optional dado throat plate is required for this procedure. Allblades and dado sets must not be rated less than the speed ofthis tool. This saw is designed for use with an up to 8 in. stackdado (up to width of 13/16 in., with a maximum depth of cut of1-1/2 in.). Do not use an adjustable dado on this saw."
"NOTE: Do not set beyond 1-1/2 in. Ensure that the releaselever is not raising the throat plate.You may purchase an optional dado throat plate (part number080035003093)."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS