How often do you drain your Air-Compressor?

How often do you drain your Compressor

• After each use

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • Weekly

Votes: 6 10.2%
  • Every other week

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 16 27.1%
  • It has a drain??????

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • When It Sprays Water

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I currently keep my AC drain plug open after each use. It keeps it dry but it can be a real pain when I need to do a quick inflation or something and I have to crawl under the workbench to tighten the drain, wait for the tank to fill, use the air compressor, empty the tank, crawl back under and open the drain.... Is this overkill? If so, what's a reasonable maintenance period? Once a week, every other week, once a month???

Travis

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
I voted on 'every use' but that's major use and more like (almost) always. The truth is that if I'm just going to do a couple of quick jobs, maybe including the odd refill for a pool toy, I'll often let it go for a few days. So far, I haven't had any problem. When I do drain the tank, the water generally has a little bit of brown in it; I guess I do have some rust in there.

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
I have a 60 gal horizontal and depending on how much air I use daily, I will usually open the petcock once a week and let the moisture bleed out. Never has too too much but if I have been really eating up the air, spraying, etc then naturally it will condensate more and hence more water to bleed. I have not noticed any color to the water so that's good. I never bleed it down all the way. No need to. Keep it charged and ready to go. Why tax the motor / pump any more than necessary.

JMHO

Mike

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I don't have one at home, but at work we have one at each station for the apparatus and the plymo system that runs every time a truck comes in or out. We drain them daily.
As for having to crawl - there are spring loaded cocks that you can attach a cable to, saving you from crawling. We have them on several apparatus in the fleet. Since the city paid the bill, they can't have cost too much...:slap:
We drain them only until liquid/moisture laden (misty) air stops coming out.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Travis,

Harbor Freight sell an automatic drain kit that hooks up or replaces petcock (cant remember).

It drains, automatically after each shutdown (vaccum activated). Works great, as far as I can tell.

Run about $10.

M

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Travis,

Harbor Freight sell an automatic drain kit that hooks up or replaces petcock (cant remember).

It drains, automatically after each shutdown (vaccum activated). Works great, as far as I can tell.

Run about $10.

M

Hmmm. That's very interesting! Thanks!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Thar she blows
Automatic Compressor Drain Kit

Email to a Friend

Click on image to zoom
More Views

Automatic Compressor Drain Kit

Item # 46960
Automatically removes condensation to prevent rust formation.
  • Extend the life of your compressor tank
  • Automatic clog-free discharge
  • High quality brass construction
1/4'' NPT street T1/4'' petcock1/4'' tube fitting x 1/8'' male NPT fitting8 ft. of 1/4'' 145 PSI polyurethane tubingBe the first to review this product

Only:$9.99

Add Items to CartQty: Add to Cart

Availability: In stock

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
I'd have to agree with RayH.

I picked every use, but if I only have it going for a few minutes, I don't drain it. Now if I had it going for a few hours like when I built my shed I drained it a couple times. It's just humid in NC.

Normally I do drain it after each use, but I am human and do forget from time to time, especially if I am using it for a turning project. I'll blow off the dust, then get back into the turning and forget all about the compressor.

Good forum~!

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I drain mine at least once a week, if not more often, but I don't make an effort to do it after each use. It's a 60 gl. vertical tank located outside the shop, under a shed roof, so it's pulling in a lot of moisture. To make draining easier, I removed the plug in the bottom and inserted a 90* elbow, then attached a length of black iron pipe running out to the side. At the end of the pipe I installed a valve. I just open the valve and let it blow until it's clear w/ no moisture coming out. So far it's always just water, w/ no sign of rust. I've had it there for about 5 years now.

Bill

PS: Welcome home Travis. How was the vacation?

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
As far as draining it after each use, if you don't drain it after the tank has cooled down (air heats when it is compressed), you're wasting your time. This is because the hot air inside the tank retains the moisture and does not release the water until the air has cooled down.

It's much better to drain the tank when cool. For most folks, this is when you are ready to use the compressor, as that way you get the maximum amount of moisture out. If you are out in the shop and the compressor has not cycled much, then it doesn't hurt to drain when you leave the shop for the day.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Well, Scott may have rendered my reply moot: I drain my small Craftsman compressor (125 psi) after each use.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Travis,

Run about $10.

M

I bought one of those kits for a verticle tank compressor. Just before the tank reached capacity the drain valve blew open and stayed open. I may have had a defective unit. At the time I chalked it up to expecting too much from a $10.00 piece of equipment and removed it.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
I'd say I'm more in line with Scott Smith's statement. Not on purpose though. :gar-La; I usually forget to drain it after I use it, but usually drain it before the next time I use it.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I voted for once a week but in all reality it happens whenever I happen to think of it.:gar-Bi I replaced the petcock? with a valve that only requires 1/4 turn to open fully. much easier now and that translates to it getting done more often.:icon_thum

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
Thanks for all the great info! I don't use the compressor enough to warrent the auto-drain system. I do think I'll be heading to the BORG for fittings and a new valve to make draining easier. That way I can keep it charged up and just do a quick drain when I get into the shop.

Travis

rick7938

New User
Rick
I drain both of mine after each use. I have a large AC for high volume demands and a small HF compressor for quick/small/portable jobs. Either way, they both get drained after each use.

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
I drain both of mine after each use. I have a large AC for high volume demands and a small HF compressor for quick/small/portable jobs. Either way, they both get drained after each use.

Do you just drain 'em long enough for them to blow dry then close it back up or do you leave it empty and open?

Thanks,

Travis

rick7938

New User
Rick
Travis,

I leave mine open because I hope that any condensation on the walls of the tanks will evaporate. Of course, I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS