How Not to Use a Chisel on Your Thumb

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
The title is a joke, but my injury today is not.

Note to self (and y'all) ... when using chisels (or any tool for that matter) ... BE CAREFUL and SMART.

As you can see from the attached image, I let the chisel slip when finishing up some mortises this evening. After 3hrs in the Emergency room I ended up with three stitches and a little embarrassment.

IMG_1310.JPG

How did I do it? I wasn't using good form or practice. Instead of securing the wood in a vice, I was free-hand holding the wood while using the chisel ... a bad idea.

:BangHead:

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Ouch.......sucks to be you right about now. I hope it heals up quickly for you. Keep it clean and dry.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
OUCH!!! I have always thought that hand tools cause the most injuries. Power tools the worst, but not as many :-?

Hope you heal up well, and take are with those sharp items in the future

Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
Jeremy,

Sorry to hear the run in with the chisel. Most of us have been there at one time or another... actually, my favorite is hammer to the thumb... Keep the sawdust off the cut. Some woods contain stuff that can cause a reaction.

Ray

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Man! That have had to have hurt!!!!!!!!!!:crybaby2: :crybaby2: Don't know what was worse though. The 3 hrs in the ER or having to be away from your shop until it heals. That cut can definitely attest to how sharp you keep your chisels!

Take care and look after it 'til it is fully healed before picking up that chisel! (Hey! That may be to perfect excuse to run out and buy a brand new hollow chisel mortiser. I think that I would definitely give that a shot!)

Wayne

sapwood

New User
Roger
Ouch, that's gotta hurt :-(

Truly a picture is worth a thousand words!
I always appreciate the safety reminders. :saw:

Sapwood

skeeter

New User
Charles
Ouch! Hope you didn't hurt the chisel! Seriously, heal fast, work carefully, and make sawdust!

wapitiscat

New User
Todd Earnhardt
I count four stitches, not three. Don't sell yourself short.:)
I read somewhere a while back that one should ask themselves "Where will this go if it slips?". I think it was dealing with power tools but I try to remember to ask myself this whenever I start a cut with any tool. Hope it heals quickly.

Todd

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
Looks like four to me too! Sorry bout the accident. I agree with Todd. I always ask myself, "Where is this going if I hit it" or What will happen when I do this"? Those questions have served me well over the years, not just in WWing either. Hope you mend quickly
Randy

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Wow, that must have hurt. We all make dumb mistakes. I have a scar on my left index finger from a circle cutter to prove it. :BangHead: :BangHead: And a piece of gnarled up wood nailed over my TS to remind me about kick back.:BangHead: It is amazing how fast and hard a TS blade can throw a 6 inch piece of wood at you.:BangHead: Keep it clean and hope it heals soon.

cskipper

Cathy
Thanks for that count - thought I was losing it!. Seriously, I hope you heal quickly. I'll add the "what would happen if..." to my future projects.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
You must be kin to Roy Underhill! I'm not saying he is "stupid", just clumsy. Hope the wound heals quickly.
Jim in Mayberry

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Don't know what I was thinking ... obviously it is 4 stitches. Initially we were going to go with 3, then the doctor decided one more for good measure ... for 4 it was.

The thumb is doing good ... though deep, only flesh damage --- which is a great thing.

I sure hope I don't do this again ... it was VERY preventable -- just back technique.

Take care!
Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS