How much is quarter sawn red oak worth per bf?

Billm0066

New User
Bill
My buddy has a decent stack of quarter sawn red oak 4/4 or 5/4 in North Raleigh rough sawn. Stack is decent size, probably 75bf-100bf or more. What would be a fair price to ask per bf for this? We plan to get it measured out later this week or next.

mquan01

Mike
Corporate Member
Current prices at the Hardwood Store

4/4Red Oak3.453.353.253.15Eastern US and Canada; light to medium brown with a reddish cast. Commonly used for cabinets and furniture due to it's durability.
5/43.753.653.553.45
8/44.354.254.153.90

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
You need to take quality into consideration.
QS is generally higher than flat sawn

Hardwood store generally has prime quality lumber. There are few blemishes, very straight and flat and waste is minimal.

Individuals also have much less overhead and fewer middlemen so this reduces the cost.

Start higher rather than lower, you can always negotiate down as you figure out what the market will allow. Note poor quality pine at Lowes is near $2 per bf currently. That is the bottom of the lumber prices

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
You need to take quality into consideration.
QS is generally higher than flat sawn

Hardwood store generally has prime quality lumber. There are few blemishes, very straight and flat and waste is minimal.

Individuals also have much less overhead and fewer middlemen so this reduces the cost.

Start higher rather than lower, you can always negotiate down as you figure out what the market will allow. Note poor quality pine at Lowes is near $2 per bf currently. That is the bottom of the lumber prices
Generally, but the last red oak I got was not great. Maple was very good.

chris_goris

Chris
Senior User
My buddy has a decent stack of quarter sawn red oak 4/4 or 5/4 in North Raleigh rough sawn. Stack is decent size, probably 75bf-100bf or more. What would be a fair price to ask per bf for this? We plan to get it measured out later this week or next.
Is it kiln dried?

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS