How many slivers do you have currently?

Pop Golden

New User
Pop
None at present. I bought a couple of those little sharp tweezers that Klingspore sells a few years ago. One on my key chain & one in my shop first-aid cabinet. They get those slivers out. Now all I have to do is see 'em.

Pop :cool:

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
3 maybe more, sometimes my hands just desolve them so I can't keep up

Last edited:

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Back in a storage area of the shop I have a little overhead task light, a magnifying visor, and a set or two of good jeweler's tweezers. I found that the cheap look-alike tweezers bend easily early on. When I get a sliver, I walk back to the area, switch on the light, pick up the tweezers, don the magnifying visor, extract the sliver, and go back to work.

Been doing it for 30 years.

New visors are available with LED lights. Don't know about them. The ones I use were from Northern. They were about $10.00 before they discontinued them. Had flip up lenses for various powers. As quality optics go, they are pretty awful, but good enough for short term use.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
When I was 16 I worked at a car wash, one day I was moving equipment and reached up on top of the storage room for something and got a long splinter stuck in my finger. About 3/8 inch of it broke off deep in my finger. It is still there.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
When I was 16 I worked at a car wash, one day I was moving equipment and reached up on top of the storage room for something and got a long splinter stuck in my finger. About 3/8 inch of it broke off deep in my finger. It is still there.

^^^ Super Human Extreme Tolerance to Pain ^^^

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Zero. Been making rings with stabilized wedge and padauk this week.

Have a request for napkin rings from wenge. I want no splinters from that!

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
One of my worst was in the barn. I have rough cut lumber on the walls. I was reaching for a pair of sissors that hang on a nail to cut open a bale of hay. I got a big 'sliver' right under the finger nail. If I had cameras in the barn I likely could have won $10k on AMERICAS FUNNIEST VIDEOS cause I was dancing all over the barn hollering and cussing.

Poor ponies didnt know what the heck was wrong with dad.

PeteStaehling

New User
Pete
None that I know of at the moment. I keep some high quality tweezers and a headband magnifier with flip down loupe on one eye. Still dig big holes in my body getting splinters out.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
One, got it carving my latest decoy, it went right through my gloves I use to prevent knife cuts, go figure.

AllanD

Allan
Corporate Member
One of the main reasons I hate Wenge. But I have a couple pairs of surgical quality splinter forceps, hypodermic needles, and a ring light magnifier. I actually have more of a problem with metal filings and swarf

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Back in the early 1960's I was climbing a power pole while maintaining fire alarm box wiring, and one of my climbing spurs cut out of the severely deteriorated pole. When it did, my chin hooked on a sliver left from someone else's climb. I worked very quickly to get my spurs back in that pole to be able to unhook myself from that sliver. Still have the scar to prove it.

Charley

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Zero right now, but I have no fingerprints due to working with thinset, grout, drywall, and mud. Does that count?

BTW, you'll get a splinter if you so much as think about Purpleheart. Two if you look at it.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS