How I spent the past 2 days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Well the new cyclone for the DC is being delivered Monday so I thought I'd take advantage of the past couple of days and get ready. The shop layout was scattered because we pretty well gutted the house when we bought it so I couldn't really set it up the way I wanted. Now was the chance so I built a lumber storage rack, revised the layout and I'm about 90% through running all new duct. I was able to play with the layout on Grizzly.com until I had the best use of space then dumped the image into my cad program to layout the duct runs. Once I get it wrapped up tomorrow, I'll post pictures. Below is the new layout.
NewLayout.jpg
:mrgreen:

Last edited:

sapwood

New User
Roger
Sweet :cool:

You make it all look so simple, but I don't doubt a lot of effort went into your plan. And I can't wait to see the finished shop :eusa_clap

Sapwood

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Nice lay-out Steve. I look forward to seeing the photos once you get everything in place and running. Did you get your cyclone from Grizzly?

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Thanks for the comments. The cyclone is an aftermarket from cyclonseparators.com that will allow me to convert my existing 2HP Grizzly to a cyclone. I'm really looking forward to getting this all back together. The only machine that will roll around to be used is the Performax and that can even be left in position most of the time.

M

McRabbet

Steve,

I like the way you've flipped the TS and bench around to make an ideal spot for the Jointer -- this will give you a much more efficient layout compared to what I saw during my visit recently. Good job! :eusa_clap

Rob

Monty

New User
Monty
I like your shop layout - it really seems to lend itself well to efficient work flow and dust collection. I don't understand the "double-back" over the end of the TS/workbench, though. Unless I'm missing something, I think that's a bad idea. I think I would connect it up with a shorter piece of pipe, and tie it in to the main line with another wye connection over the infeed table of the jointer.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
insomniac said:
I don't understand the "double-back" over the end of the TS/workbench, though. Unless I'm missing something, I think that's a bad idea.

I assumed he ran the pipe from his DC to the wall, dropped it to the floor and then ran it to his TS and Jointer. I think if he used the shorter method, although more efficient, it would leave a pipe or hose hanging down in the middle of his shop creating an obstruction. Of course I may be missing something too.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Right on the money DL, it drops down the wall and runs across at floor level to the TS and Jointer. I didn't want to step over anything in the walkways. I'm also dropping power from above for the same reason.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Steve D said:
I'm also dropping power from above for the same reason.

Steve, I did the same thing with my power. I have a 220 box in the ceiling near the end of my TS and have about a 10' cord hard wired with a compression fitting. It works great with no cords on the floor. I also put two 110 outlets in the ceiling at either end of the shop and have retractable extension cords plugged into both of those. Those things come in real handy.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
I don't know..... :eusa_thin sounds like an excellent excuse to get one of them overhead blade guards, with the DC dropping straight down from the ceiling right over the TS.... :mrgreen: Shorter DC pipe run (= better cfm), better dust collection, safety, higher style points.... more tools.... I don't see the drawback!!! :mrgreen:

(by the way, did I mention -- I'm immune to the WG disease, but I'm definitely a carrier!!! :mrgreen: )

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Reading my mind insomniac, that's what the thin line is coming off of the duct run over the TS. All the duct is 6" and the thin lines indicate 4" drops. I'm planning to build an overhead collection point / blade guard and I can hang it right from the ceiling.

One other thing I found that worked great for hanging the duct is the joist hangers used for hanging drop ceilings. There is a driver attachment that goes into your cordless drill and you can just run the lag hangers right into the joist. I then wrapped the duct with the same wire used for drop ceilings and tied it off to the hangers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS