How far as a general rule?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
On a "farm house style trestle leg dining table" how far is the average distance from the edge of the table to the legs? I measured from my big fat belly to the knee and got about 16 inches. Thought I would add a some and make it 18 inches from the edge of the table. So if I sat down slide my chair forward I would smack my knees on the legs. Thoughts?

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
On a "farm house style trestle leg dining table" how far is the average distance from the edge of the table to the legs? I measured from my big fat belly to the knee and got about 16 inches. Thought I would add a some and make it 18 inches from the edge of the table. So if I sat down slide my chair forward I would smack my knees on the legs. Thoughts?
I'm 6' 3" with long legs. I just did your measurement (first time for that LOL), and got 16" too. I would be comfortable designing an 18" overhang for the table ends. I don't know how I would design in an 18" overhang on the sides, other than put in 1 1/2" square spreader bars perpendicular to the leg trestle and stop them about 2" after the outermost glue line on each side. Half round the ends just so there aren't any sharp edges for someone to bump into.

Howie

New User
Howie
18" + end overhang should not be an issue. Without knowing "leg" system you plan on using not sure about sides. Seems the traditional upright single slap each end design would solve as knees could straddle.

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
First it depends on the length of the table and how many can sit around it. You have to consider the seating on the sides. A misplaced leg can make a table for 3 per side make it only comfortable for 1. So 15" 0r 22" could be a better choice depending.

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
I will post some pics. Full disclosure the legs I am using are not "trestle" but are some antique legs off a different style table. The principle is the same. But trying to explain it without pics would have been difficult.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Another consideration is the chairs, if you want to nestle them up to the table when they are empty. I would say 16" would be the minimum, but deep chairs would be more..

I made our main table (trestle design) with 15" on the ends. I wear a 30" inseam pants, and it is fine . However, I have a good friend that is 6'5" and fairly fit. He prefers to sit on the side in the center, where it is 19" to the center rail of the trestle.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS