how do you store your chuck jaw sets?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I am searching for a new solution for storing multiple sets of chuck jaws to keep them organized and easy to access. I'm hoping somebody here has a clever solution to share - if you do please share photos.

thanks

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
Curious. Did you want to keep them in matched sets/per chuck or can you stand to have them mixed across all (EasyWood) chucks?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Curious. Did you want to keep them in matched sets/per chuck or can you stand to have them mixed across all (EasyWood) chucks?

I would like to keep them in matched sets - although it doesn't matter with EWT gear. It would still be helpful to me if everything were kept together.

I have glimpsed a few clever ideas over the years and meant to pay better attention to them...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I mounted a small sheet of plywood on my wall and used nails to hang the jaws.

IMG_0586.jpeg

This is is right behind the lathe and as I take a jaw off the chuck I put it in the place of the one I’m taking off the wall. No jaw ever gets laid down anywhere in the shop. It is either on the board or on the lathe.

Last edited:

gritz

New User
Robert
I hang mine on 16d finish nails nailed into a plywood wall. All four will fit.
When most of the nails are empty I know it's time for a cleanup of my work table.:wwink:

karlkoch

New User
Karl
I also use finish nails in vertical columns. I tried keeping them in sets of four on longer nails and shower curtain loops but they are too awkward and bulky. Went back to each jaw having it's own nail with a label at the top of the column or the type of jaws that belong there, ie "EW2" or "O5" (easy wood #2 set or Oneway #5 set). I have a rolling lathe tool cart that has a 3/4" plywood backboard. The most used accessories like chuck jaws, calipers, and face plates are on the front that faces where I am working.

Last edited:

nn4jw

New User
Jim
My midi lathe is mounted on a bench attached to a wall. All my chucks and jaws just sit on a wall mounted shelf above the lathe with the various jaws simply set down in sets. Unless the whole garage moves in an earthquake the jaws aren't going anywhere. Personally I've never cared for arranging tools in custom arrangements on walls. Things come and go and that type of storage is probably the most inefficient use of wall space there is with everything spread out in a single layer. Look pretty though.

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I'm interested in seeing some different methods as well. I happen to have two oneway chucks and would prefer to keep the jaws that came with the chucks associated with those chucks. I think some sort of organized approach will help to do this.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Chuck jaws and other accessories can be a problem. Here's my solution. It works well and I don't have to search through a drawer or cabinet either.

1 chuckstorage - 1.jpg

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
When I built the cabinet to store turning items that hangs next to the lathe I put 1/4" dowels in the inside cabinet doors to hang the chuck jaws.

DSC_0537_800x532_1.jpg

dwminnich

New User
Dave
Mine live in a drawer in a bench under my lathe. Jaw sets have a cable tie connecting them together, and are in the same drawer as the chuck(s) they match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you want to match them to your (gazillion) chucks, they will have to be serialized by some permanent marking system.

Like you don't know that.

Maybe a dremel scribing tool?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
Chuck jaws and other accessories can be a problem. Here's my solution. It works well and I don't have to search through a drawer or cabinet either.

View attachment 29672

that's a great setup! One problem that I am running into is that the Easy Wood Tools chuck jaws can't hang from a single point because they have no holes. I think I'm going to make some kind of cantilevered vblock system to keep all four jaws in each set in a single row. But I really like the way you have organized your MT2 tools.
thanks

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
If you want to match them to your (gazillion) chucks, they will have to be serialized by some permanent marking system.

Like you don't know that.

Maybe a dremel scribing tool?

yeah that's one of several issues. I'm thinking label maker so it's more visible for me and ​other folks

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
When I built the cabinet to store turning items that hangs next to the lathe I put 1/4" dowels in the inside cabinet doors to hang the chuck jaws.

DSC_0537_800x532_1.jpg

this is great setup, we had cabinets like these at ECU. It won't exactly work in our shop, but there are aspects of it that I might incorporate.
thanks Ken!

Jerry C

New User
Jerry
I use Harbor Freight tool box trays to hold my chuck jaws. They are inexpensive and come in two configurations. I have several of these trays in my under lathe storage cart.

Attachments

• PSX_20190207_105517.jpg
    PSX_20190207_105517.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 247

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
I looked at those jaws. If I had to deal with that, I'd consider some t-slot strip.

1 chuckjawholder.jpg

If you have multitudes of lathes and find storing morse taper stuff, here's a portable stand that gets things off the bench. I know that others use this concept but use only one strip of holes between the posts.

1 taperstorage - 1.jpg

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
This is very simple. I use the metal shower curtain rings and hang four jaws on one ring (through the screw holes) and then hang the ring on a cup hook.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors