How do you remove the dog from a vise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
I have a Columbian vise similar to the one in the pic. I wish to remove the dog for a restoration project. I cannot determine a way to do so. The lifting tang is the problem, as it does not appear to be screwed in, and if it is pressed in I cannot tell. Anyone have a good thought on how to get this little critter out of its recess?

Attachments

• CD-7 Vise.JPG
    CD-7 Vise.JPG
    301.2 KB · Views: 132

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I was gonna say, "Throw him a bone"
But I caught myself, just in time!

If you separate the faces, can you see any pins around the dog slide?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Well, I had to run downstairs and look at mine. You're right, it doesn't screw out. Looks like they brad it in place.

if you really want it out I think you have to pull it out or cut it off and make a new one to go back in after you do whatever maintenance on it.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Well, I had to run downstairs and look at mine. You're right, it doesn't screw out. Looks like they brad it in place.

if you really want it out I think you have to pull it out or cut it off and make a new one to go back in after you do whatever maintenance on it.

I would like it out, so I have thought about it some. I have a propane torch, and wonder if I could heat up the area inside the recess, around the tang, enough to make it possible to extract the tang. I think it likely that it was originally heated, and then simply hammered into a hole, much like a steel rivet in a bridge. However, I don't know if the torch would be hot enough, and I wonder about potential collateral damage. Other thoughts anyone?

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
If you don't want to put it back just take a cold chisel and cut the post off close to the slide or grip it with vice grips and wiggle it loose. The chisel would probably be easier.

once you have it out I would like to see some photos of the back side of the slide.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
if it's like mine it is pressed in. a nail puller, claw hammer, flat bar or what have you will pull it out. heat won't hurt but you may not need it.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you don't want to preserve it the fastest way is Mike's suggestion to use a cold chisel. Whack, it's gone.

- Ken.

DIYGUY

New User
Mark
Thanks Hank, I did not see the part about the dog, only about the handle. In any event, I was able to do what I wanted without taking out the dog. I hope to have it finished soon, and will post some pix when it is ready to show.

My sincere thanks to everyone who chimed in - you are all awesome!

Mark,
Have a look at this thread - you will see a hole in the dog - I think you are right it is just a pressed in "Rivet" not sure...

http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/miscellaneous/3935-restoring-columbian-front-vise-question.html

You will see in one of his later picture posts the hole for the "Rivet"

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
Glad I could find something to help - looking forward to the "after" pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS