How do you guys finish live edge slabs?

Caseykasem

New User
Casey
I’m making a laptop desk from the crotch of a walnut slab and wondering how you finish your slabs.

Attachments

• 38189050-D80B-48E4-BA13-A6DB377556F5.jpeg
    38189050-D80B-48E4-BA13-A6DB377556F5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 175
  • 6C38693F-45AB-41D6-94EE-BC88BDB3920C.jpeg
    6C38693F-45AB-41D6-94EE-BC88BDB3920C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 190
  • 7FD82779-C81A-4D41-A80A-2B35A854E1BE.jpeg
    7FD82779-C81A-4D41-A80A-2B35A854E1BE.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 164
  • AC67E62C-E1E9-4F1B-AFC9-292A0F2708AA.jpeg
    AC67E62C-E1E9-4F1B-AFC9-292A0F2708AA.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 163

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
I'm working on one now, which includes an epoxy "lake", and although I haven't used it yet I bought some Osmo. This and Rubio monocoat seem to be extremely popular finishes. Plenty of You Tube videos on this.

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
I just finished an air dried walnut slab. I used GF ARM-R-SEAL. It soaked into the surface and accented the colors of the wood beautifully. It was easy to apply . I used a rag to flood the first coat then switched to a foam brush for three more. I think this finish looks much deeper than the plastic based surface coatings.

Caseykasem

New User
Casey
I just finished an air dried walnut slab. I used GF ARM-R-SEAL. It soaked into the surface and accented the colors of the wood beautifully. It was easy to apply . I used a rag to flood the first coat then switched to a foam brush for three more. I think this finish looks much deeper than the plastic based surface coatings.
What’s was the time between coats and full dry time? Sounds interesting. Do you have any pictures?

Tim Sherwood

Tim
Corporate Member
Casey I finally got a few pictures . These are three air dried walnut slabs that I trimmed. The second photo shows the first coat going down. I followed the mfg. suggestions about timing. I think I waited 24 hours for the second coay and a week before sanding and the next coat.
IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0580.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG

Caseykasem

New User
Casey
Casey I finally got a few pictures . These are three air dried walnut slabs that I trimmed. The second photo shows the first coat going down. I followed the mfg. suggestions about timing. I think I waited 24 hours for the second coay and a week before sanding and the next coat.View attachment 196936
View attachment 196934View attachment 196935
Wow turned out great! Klingspor was closed when I went. I ended up getting watco wipe on poly satin. We shall see how it turns out!

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Really nice work Fred. Those look bullet proof.

thanks. just to add those are cedar slabs and the epoxy finish was chosen because they will be outside 24/7. bases are aluminum. I would not do epoxy on indoor projects. there are much better options for indoor stuff. Waterlox just to name one.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
thanks. just to add those are cedar slabs and the epoxy finish was chosen because they will be outside 24/7. bases are aluminum. I would not do epoxy on indoor projects. there are much better options for indoor stuff. Waterlox just to name one.

I'm curious again. I'm guessing that the Waterlox went on the cedar first followed by the epoxy. Waterlox also makes a Marine finish for outdoor use not in direct sunlight. I don't know how the epoxy topcoats will do in direct sunlight. ?????

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm curious again. I'm guessing that the Waterlox went on the cedar first followed by the epoxy. Waterlox also makes a Marine finish for outdoor use not in direct sunlight. I don't know how the epoxy topcoats will do in direct sunlight. ?????

epoxy first. hoping the waterlox will limit uv rays some. they may or may not turn to crap in a short time. but they are what they are, benches around a fire pit. mostly for sitting, not for looks although im hoping they stay pretty at least for a little while.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
epoxy first. hoping the waterlox will limit uv rays some. they may or may not turn to crap in a short time. but they are what they are, benches around a fire pit. mostly for sitting, not for looks although im hoping they stay pretty at least for a little while.

That's fine, I was just curious although I'm surprised that Waterlox over the epoxy actually bonded to the epoxy. Interesting.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors